Spec me a car with a bit of poke but practical for £4K

Soldato
looking for a motor for 4 grand, something a bit practical, but quite pokey also, was thinking of a prelude 2.2 VTEC?

anyway, doors are open, any make, any motor, and any info you can give on your choice much appreciated

enter Fox with his Mondeo sales pitch :p

Man of Honour
Toryglen-boy said:
enter Fox with his Mondeo sales pitch :p

ST24, ST200 if you can find one, Ghia X RSAP if you can be bothered to find and fit tat or you are lucky enough to find one.

You can close the thread now - there is a Mondeo out there for everyone :D

Soldato
Toryglen-boy said:
prelude 2.2 VTEC

Good car, have had several - really quick, decent economy and comfy to drive in. Back seats are rubbish mind you.

How about a Toyota / Lexus Soarer? You can buy em for around £2000 - £3000 and they come with either 4 litre V8 engines (260 bhp) or 2.5 twin turbos (280 bhp). Back seats are brilliant in them and they are just awesome to drive. Both engines are great and they're very reliable too.

Soldato
the prelude has minature back seats and v little boot to speak of, which is why I bought a celica (it has a hatchback)

Don
A few other choices that can be had to £4k

Honda Accord Type R
Mitsubishi Galant 2.5 V6 Sport
Skoda Octavia vRS <---- Really like these. They go like stink.
VW Passat 2.8 Syncro

Soldato
The question is - how much poke do you want, and at what cost (insurance, maintenance, economy).

If you're looking to get onto the OcUK 0-60 board, then how abouts a Galant VR4.

Soldato
Well i'm bias here but what about a 1.8 Civic VTI. Don't think its as quick as the prelude but its more practical with 5 doors, looks a bit mundane so not many people pay attention to it (so less likely to be stolen) and the insurance is cheaper too. And to be honest I don't think 138mph top end is anything to be shunned at. Just depends on how muhc performance you actually want :)

Soldato
OP
i want something that looks sporty, is quick of the mark, although it doesnt have to go 150+ or anything like that, and is kinda practical, thats why i thought of a Prelude, i was thinking of a Hyundai coupe, although i have heard that these are rather underpowered, oh ... and running costs are an issue as well

:)

Soldato
For the 1996-2002 Coupe, the 1.6 is a bit slow (11.4 sec to 60), the 2.0 is fine though (8.3 sec to 60)

They're not all that fast but they've definitely got poke

The 2002 onwards version has a 2.7 V6 but it'll be pricey to insure and run and you won't find one for £4k

Man of Honour
Toryglen-boy said:
i want something that looks sporty, is quick of the mark, although it doesnt have to go 150+ or anything like that, and is kinda practical,

ST24 blatantly. Looks sporty with its sideskirts, spoiler and sporty looking front and rear bumpers, it's reasonably quick off the mark, and it's certainly practical.

Man of Honour
HEADRAT said:
And if I had wheels I would be a wagon, sorry I just don't think Mondeo's look sporty how every much tuppaware you put on 'em ;)

HEADRAT

I see, you are one of those 'if it has more than x amount of doors it isnt sporty' crowd.

I suppose you think an Audi RS6 and a BMW M5 don't look sporty either.

Mesh bits, sideskirts, spoilers, wheels etc - all sporty :p

Back
Top Bottom