X-Fi Model Confusion

Soldato
Am looking at getting a sound card in a month or two (currently using Nforce4 AC850 Onboard- I can cope, but it sounds dull, compared to my Sony mp3 Hi-Fi, [although I use pc more for simplicity], although that might be me, and it pops and crackles sometimes.) They're not big problems, but the cpu overhead lowering would be nice as would nicer sound, and I was looking at an X-Fi, as I play a lot of games, but also enjoy a lot of music, and from scanning the forums, it seems these are the best compromise between music and high end game sound (I on average spend at least an hour a day playing both games and music).

Soooo, if its at all possible, can someone detail me the differences between the 4 X-Fi models, so i can wiegh up the pros and cons, and chose which one to go for. My mate just got the basic music version, and hes already waxed lyrical about that one, and he went from another motherboard with the AC850 sound chip too (both Nforce4 mobos) but as I say, music AND games rather than pure music is my priority. (although I'd expect higher end models sound the same for music?)

Also, I currently use Creative I-Trigue 5.1 5600 speakers and a Sennheiser PC130 headset. Can anyone also tell me if it'd be worth upgrading my speakers to Creative GigaWorks 5.1 G500 THX Pro Gamer Speakers or something similar? They have higher channel wattages and a better sub, although 'Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR): 85dB' seems perhaps a little low? Opinions on that too if possible.

Anyways, thanks guys, help appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So do you mean stick with my itrigue's or think about an upgrade later this year?

Am currently using analogue connections as my computer is only 30cm from my creative sub, where the cables plug in, and the cables arent that much longer as far as I remember.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was going to get the 5.1 gigaworks, but after reading some reviews I changed my mind. In reviews the 5.1 gigaworks did quite poorly in the sound tests and cant match the z-680/z-5500 or the Creative S750 for sound quality.. In the End I got the z-680, and the sound quality is amazing.

Im gonna get a XFI sound card next when Ive got some money.

Back
Top Bottom