So... my copy of XP isn't genuine

Soldato
just performed an XP upgrade and have now been told my copy of XP isn't genuine... horray for me.

i'm (supposedly) using XP Pro here, and have now been told i can't upgrade/update windows any more until i use a genuine product.

so the money i spent on this copy of xp has gone to waste... :rolleyes:

rediculous question but the copies OcUK sell are proper copies (despite them being OEM obviously)... and whats the main difference from Home to Pro?
shall be shelling out for which ever is cheaper/more suited for me...

is there anyway i can *convert* my "fake" copy of XP into a real copy after purchasing a legit copy? i don't particularly want to format and lose most of the stuff on my raptor :(

suppose i should have created a small windows only partition and the problem would have been solved from the get go... hey-ho nevermind.
don't suppose there is any way i can do this now (without borking up XP)?

cheers for the advice/help

Soldato
If you've been told by the Windows Genuine Notification program that your version of Windows isn't legal, then if you buy through that then you get, it seems, a full retail license for Windows (ie, unlike the OEM, can be transferred between PCs), and you get given instructions immediately on how to convert your installation. I think it also runs a check that your install is generally valid.

If you buy elsewhere, then it's also still usually possible to change your key, there's a Microsoft article explaining how.

And, of course, OEM versions sold through OcUK are legal, though they're redistributed OEM copies rather than retail versions, and can, by the license, only be installed on one PC (and not transferred).

Soldato
OP
PinkPig said:
If you've been told by the Windows Genuine Notification program that your version of Windows isn't legal, then if you buy through that then you get, it seems, a full retail license for Windows (ie, unlike the OEM, can be transferred between PCs), and you get given instructions immediately on how to convert your installation. I think it also runs a check that your install is generally valid.
i did notice this, but i'm not paying £90 for XP when i can purchase an OEM version for £50 :p

challengedavid said:
can you backup all your files then do a fresh format then install, best way to do imo

yeah i've got my raptor (74gb windows) and my seagate (120gb storage/backup) so it wouldn't be too much trouble... it's just the hastle of having to reinstall everything and then copy all the files back over :o

Permabanned
If you bought the copy you have now and didnt know it was illegal at the time, then you should be able to contact MS and you tell them where you got it and they should change it for a legitimate version.

Associate
This has happened to me. I would recommend following the MS link and buying XP PRO at their offer price of £92. While it is dearer than the OEM Version it is actually the Retail Version and also MS sends you a link to a tool that allows you to validate your current counterfeit version without having to do a reinstall. I took the view that the extra few quid was easily compensated by the above and went ahead with the MS order. The Product Key and Update tool were emailed too me within 2 days and everything is now hunky dory and I can access all the MS downloads and support too!!

Suspended
do a fresh install but when you update, manually select updates not auto-all select, and dont select gma. problem solved. its about 800k

Soldato
basmic said:
Problem is, why pay for XP when Vista is just around the corner?

If you want to use Windows XP now, then you don't have any (legal) choice. Plus, if you want to get Vista straight away, you'll be able to use an upgrade version.

Soldato
basmic said:
Problem is, why pay for XP when Vista is just around the corner?

just round the corner is mid 2007?

wow.

also vista sucks, unfortunatly i cant think of another non abusive term to say, but it hogs memory, eats cpu power, makes a high end system look pathetic and has enough drm and monitoring stuff to sink an e-ship

Man of Honour
lay-z-boy said:
just round the corner is mid 2007?

wow.

also vista sucks, unfortunatly i cant think of another non abusive term to say, but it hogs memory, eats cpu power, makes a high end system look pathetic and has enough drm and monitoring stuff to sink an e-ship

*Waits for NathanE to disprove those comments*

Burnsy

Soldato
Well i cant wait for vista, i'm sure its going to be very very secure and very good plus i can play halo 3 on it, plus it will have transparent sort of glassy windows.

Oh and i think its only fair that ms insist you buy a new oem copy because you upgraded a £50 plastic board.

honest guv

does the ps3 really use linux ;)

ps did you know you had a pirate copy or did you buy it, if so what sort of emporium, pub, computer fair, car boot sale.....just out of interest.

Back
Top Bottom