• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Omega Drivers killed my card?

Associate
This is not a question, just a heads up. The Omega drivers may just have been a coincidence. Comments and related war stories are welcome. I'm assuming the card is beyond reviving, but if anyone knows differently...

I installed the Omega drivers (omegadrivers.net) in a desperate attempt to get some more performance out of my ATI 9700 Pro for Oblivion (I know it's aging, but hey I use it mostly for Word, TV and World of Warcraft which it handles fine).

It seemed to work well enough (but no dramatic improvement) but now maybe 4 weeks later my card seems to have died. I was playing Dawn of War when these artifacts starting appearing. It looked like erros with clipping at first, just those random lines you get with poorly done 3D graphics at certain angles. I actually thought it was a graphics problem in the game.

After about an hour a lot of grey lines, like rain, erupted across my screen. Shocked I closed the game only to find my desktop in the same state.

I shut down my machine. Opened up and checked everything looked in order and started it making sure the GPU fan (standard) was running. The machine started fine but there is now no longer any signal from the graphic card. I know its the card since I have several monitors and even tested with another graphic card and tested the graphic card in another machine.

So, were the Omega drivers to blame? I didn't overclock the card or anything, but maybe they do by default. I admit only skimming through the readme for the drivers. I should mention that my card is around 3 years old now.

Soldato
The omega drivers could have had a more aggressive interface with the 9700pro and pushed it to its death. The card would have died sooner or later anyway.

Oh no now you HAVE to buy a brand spanking shiny new card! :D

Associate
OP
He he he. Yes it's painful :D

The only hard choice is, do I spend money on the best card for my current rig or do I use this to uppgrade the whole shebang.

I currently have an Asus with AGPx4, 1 Gig RDRAM and P4-2.53...

How much is the AGPx4 bit holding me back?

I shouldn't really be spending too much money, but if I need to uppgrade in a year or two anyway, it would be foolish to spend on a temporary graphic card... then again in one or two years I can get one of todays top cards for a fraction of the price I imagine. Argh... so many factors to consider.

Gangster
Permabanned
Dancer said:
He he he. Yes it's painful :D

The only hard choice is, do I spend money on the best card for my current rig or do I use this to uppgrade the whole shebang.

I currently have an Asus with AGPx4, 1 Gig RDRAM and P4-2.53...

I shouldn't really be spending too much money, but if I need to uppgrade in a year or two anyway, it would be foolish to spend on a temporary graphic card... then again in one or two years I can get one of todays top cards for a fraction of the price I imagine. Argh... so many factors to consider.

full upgrade!! shouldnt cost a lot either, 146, cheap pcie board, 2gig ram and a 7600 or 7900gt are a great combination.

Associate
I've been using OmegaDrivers.net for years and never had a major issue. Had one release bug, which was fixed within 2 hours of being reported, other than that they are fantastic.

That was with a 9600 and my current X800GT

Soldato
Dancer said:
Don't worry about that. I've used lots of AGP 8x graphics cards on AGP 4x motherboards in my time, all the way up to a 6800 Ultra, and it doesn't hurt them.

Associate
OP
So atm I'm looking at either getting this PowerColor ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) for £100

...or maybe this PowerColor ATI Radeon X850 XT 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) for £155.

Will I notice any improvement from my poor old 9700 Pro on a P4-2.53 with AGPx4? And would I notice much (any?) difference in graphic quality/speed between the X800 and X850.

I understand ideally I should be spending £400+ on a complete uppgrade, and I still might, but I'm not sure if I can spend so much yet and so trying to get a feel for my options.

Soldato
Unless you play at more than 1280x960 for example, your CPU will REALLY hold back a X800 or higher, I mean the 2.53 my bro has at 2.9 holds back a 9800 Pro at 1280x960...

Full upgrade or get a cheap PCI card IMO

Soldato
If you were happy with 9700 pro,i would spend £100 on a card and wait maybe to 1st or 2nd Q of 07 for vista and the new cpu's and video cards and then deside if you want to upgrade.

Q

Associate
OP
queamin said:
If you were happy with 9700 pro,i would spend £100 on a card and wait maybe to 1st or 2nd Q of 07 for vista and the new cpu's and video cards and then deside if you want to upgrade.
Q

Ah yes, vista windows. Thanks for reminding me of that. Yes, suddenly a wait-and-see tactic doesn't seem like such a bad idea. Although with all the delays it could prove to be a long wait and would I really want to uppgrade right away anyway? Vista is sure to be expensive when it first launches, at least if you want the proper version rather than the butchered minimum version.

Saying that though I've used XP Home for three years now and never noticed any limitations making me want to uppgrade to Pro. Hmmm...

Soldato
Aye, Vista keeps being delayed again and again, and many people on this forum will tell you that it's never a good idea to be an early adopter. You might want to do what I just did and buy a very cheap graphics card (I got an X1800XT, only £170 inc. VAT at the moment) and then upgrade when Vista is finally out and there are plenty of DirectX 10 titles out.

Back
Top Bottom