What 40+ inch LCD screen should I buy?

Associate
Hi all

Well I'm planning to buy an awesome LCD tv soon... something like within 4 or 5 months max...

I was wondering if someone could tell me which one is the best and biggest LCD I can buy? I'm aware that things will change in 4 - 5 months but I'd just like an idea for the time being...

I'm really into DVDs/Games... I'm gonna be using this LCD as both my TV and monitor. Being into games and all, I'm gonna need one with good response times and everything. Its also got to be HDTV 1080i/p or whatever for the future PS3... apparently there is HD ready and HDTV... I want the one where its like already capable of doing everything.

Price isn't really an issue, I feel if you're going to get something as sexy as this you might as well go all out... however I'm not really up for spending like £1k more for something pointless... so I'm ready for expensive screens as long as they're worth it.

Oh and I'm not sure but is 40" the biggest on the market now? I want the biggest possible... I'm hoping there is like one screen that stands out from the rest and like everyone will tell me to go for it... (hopefully sony, always liked em)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Associate
hi,

the sony bravia x-series due to be out in the autunm time is in my opinion the one to go for as they have a native res of 1900x1080 and will run a 1080p image aswell so the PS3 will be sweet, also running those blu ray movies or upscaled hd movies will not be an issue not to mention HD gaming aswell. if you are looking for a 40" inch u can always go larger as the x-series will be released in 3 sizes: 40", 46" and a monster 52 inch LCD panel and all of these have a 6 ms response time aswell and off the top of my head i think they have a 10,000:1 contrast ratio aswell. i cant remember the prices but i'll be able to get them for you tomorow i think.

i just hope you'll have the system to cope with the siz of the screen.

btw i work at a sony centre so if you are looking to get one give me a shout

P.S. i was at sony hq in weybridge and they had a blu ray player hooked up to the 52 inch version playing a demo of PS3 games and films and the image was absolutley amazing, and thats why its my choice because im one of a few who have seen it running.

Mud

Mud

Soldato
What distance will you be viewing from? Really you should be about 100" (8.3') from a 40" screen...and it won't be well suited as a monitor (for any extended use). And are you sure you want LCD? Its my own personal choice (plasma seems like too much of a liability), but if you're looking for the best then it won't be LCD.

Have a look here.

You might have more luck in the AV/HiFi forum down the bottom,

Associate
OP
salo said:
hi,

the sony bravia x-series due to be out in the autunm time is in my opinion the one to go for as they have a native res of 1900x1080 and will run a 1080p image aswell so the PS3 will be sweet, also running those blu ray movies or upscaled hd movies will not be an issue not to mention HD gaming aswell. if you are looking for a 40" inch u can always go larger as the x-series will be released in 3 sizes: 40", 46" and a monster 52 inch LCD panel and all of these have a 6 ms response time aswell and off the top of my head i think they have a 10,000:1 contrast ratio aswell. i cant remember the prices but i'll be able to get them for you tomorow i think.

i just hope you'll have the system to cope with the siz of the screen.

btw i work at a sony centre so if you are looking to get one give me a shout

P.S. i was at sony hq in weybridge and they had a blu ray player hooked up to the 52 inch version playing a demo of PS3 games and films and the image was absolutley amazing, and thats why its my choice because im one of a few who have seen it running.

That sounds pretty sweet so far... only wondering about the price and the functionality now (I know it's very random but it seems most bravia's don't have PIP, which is a bit dissapointing), I would really appreciate it if you could get back to me with the prices and more details... Thanks again.

Associate
OP
Mud said:
What distance will you be viewing from? Really you should be about 100" (8.3') from a 40" screen...and it won't be well suited as a monitor (for any extended use). And are you sure you want LCD? Its my own personal choice (plasma seems like too much of a liability), but if you're looking for the best then it won't be LCD.

Have a look here.

You might have more luck in the AV/HiFi forum down the bottom,

That's another of my worries, using such a huge screen for a monitor, I'll clearly have to sit a bit far back which isn't what I'm used to.

What do you mean it won't be suited as a monitor for extended use? I thought the whole plus side of LCD tvs is that they make way better monitors than plasma or any other technology out there at the moment. Plasma's I know have problems being used as monitors.

I'm also not completely sure what you mean when you pretty much say LCD and plasma aren't the ways to go... What is then? Projector?

Thanks for the help.

Mud said:
Oh, see you've already cross-posted there.

Yeah, thought I'd get the best of both worlds :). or is that not allowed? If so someone give me a heads up and I'll remove the other one as this one seems to be doing better. Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
The best LCD tv on ht emarket seems to be the Samsung LE40M61

It has a contrast ratio of 5000:1 and has won all the best LCD comps.

prod_5623_1.jpg

They also make a 46" version now :)

Permabanned
So, Samsung are the best for LCD High Def TV's? I am looking for one between 32" and 37". Must have a superb picture, have good reviews.

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Metaliron said:
That's another of my worries, using such a huge screen for a monitor, I'll clearly have to sit a bit far back which isn't what I'm used to.

What do you mean it won't be suited as a monitor for extended use? I thought the whole plus side of LCD tvs is that they make way better monitors than plasma or any other technology out there at the moment. Plasma's I know have problems being used as monitors.

I'm also not completely sure what you mean when you pretty much say LCD and plasma aren't the ways to go... What is then? Projector?

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, thought I'd get the best of both worlds :). or is that not allowed? If so someone give me a heads up and I'll remove the other one as this one seems to be doing better. Thanks

It won't be well suited as a monitor for extended use due to its sheer size; I don't know what you consider to be PC-usage, but I wouldn't want to write a thesis on it! If you only do PC-specific tasks (like internet) in small amounts then doing it from an armchair 8' back won't be so bad. Hope you don't have any windows in the room else every time you use a CC on the net you'll have big numbers on the screen for rubber-neckers to see!

LCD do make better monitors than plasma, I was saying that if you want picture quality then plasma is best...more expensive and certain foibles there though, LCD is a much less violent technology (although some argue that plasma burn-in is a thing of the past).

Associate
It sounds like the current 1080p TV's are not worth it... as they dont accept a 1080p source?

http://editorials.teamxbox.com/xbox/1544/The-Facts-and-Fiction-of-1080p/p1/

There are already a large number of 1080p HDTV sets on the market, which upconvert all incoming signals, including standard-definition TVs, DVDs, HDTVs and PCs, to their panels’ native resolution of 1920x1080 pixels. Ironically, these 1080p televisions can not accept a 1080p signal. Yes, you read that correctly.

If you already own a 1080p HDTV, it is highly probable that you won’t be able to provide it with a 1080p signal from a PlayStation 3 or a Blu-ray Disc or an HD-DVD player. The good news is that the first 1080p input capable televisions are on the way and if you are planning to get a big screen HDTV, this is the perfect time to invest in a future-proof television.

But before discussing these new HDTVs, it is important to clarify a few myths surrounding HDTV resolutions to truly understand what 1080p brings to the table and, most importantly, when.

Last edited:
Associate
trust me the x series tv is the way to go and if you were looking for 40" and above you have the option because of the 3 size release and despite being at work for about 5 mins today i forgot to get a price for you but ill do it asap and of the top of my head i think it does support PIP but picture size screw the samsung and all the others, trust me i have seen this thing in action and it is stunning and thats not even with it turned on, no only joking, but seriously the picture from it is amazing as i said and high def games and movie on a tv of that res and repsonse time you get a simply superb image.

im one of the few people in the country probably to have seen one of these in action i would have thort and as far as i know its due for an august september release and it is definatly worth the wait as you did say around that time anyway. oh and the fact that it is an LCD panel makes it ideal for lifespan as in my opinion plasmas are a total waste of time and they just simply arent as good, and dont even compare to the x (i just cant even stress how nic this tv is)

but it totally slipped my mind but ill get some specs and prices for you tomoro.

no worries

salo

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cashman said:
It sounds like the current 1080p TV's are not worth it... as they dont accept a 1080p source?

There are already a large number of 1080p HDTV sets on the market, which upconvert all incoming signals, including standard-definition TVs, DVDs, HDTVs and PCs, to their panels’ native resolution of 1920x1080 pixels. Ironically, these 1080p televisions can not accept a 1080p signal. Yes, you read that correctly.

If you already own a 1080p HDTV, it is highly probable that you won’t be able to provide it with a 1080p signal from a PlayStation 3 or a Blu-ray Disc or an HD-DVD player. The good news is that the first 1080p input capable televisions are on the way and if you are planning to get a big screen HDTV, this is the perfect time to invest in a future-proof television.

But before discussing these new HDTVs, it is important to clarify a few myths surrounding HDTV resolutions to truly understand what 1080p brings to the table and, most importantly, when.

I just read that, very informative... although something worried me, the fact that they kept pushing for DLPs... frankly I think DLPs are useless now, its between plasma and LCD... and I think LCD will win it in due time.

So as I understand it, most sets don't accept 1080p atm... does that include LCD/plasma as well? as it seemed to be very much based on DLPS...

I also hope the LCD screens drop in price after the world cup, cause i think thats pushing prices up atm.

After some research, it turns out the new Sony Bravia X series accept 1080p as input so it looks like I'm going for them unless they cost way 2 much in which case I might reconsider.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
salo said:
trust me the x series tv is the way to go and if you were looking for 40" and above you have the option because of the 3 size release and despite being at work for about 5 mins today i forgot to get a price for you but ill do it asap and of the top of my head i think it does support PIP but picture size screw the samsung and all the others, trust me i have seen this thing in action and it is stunning and thats not even with it turned on, no only joking, but seriously the picture from it is amazing as i said and high def games and movie on a tv of that res and repsonse time you get a simply superb image.

im one of the few people in the country probably to have seen one of these in action i would have thort and as far as i know its due for an august september release and it is definatly worth the wait as you did say around that time anyway. oh and the fact that it is an LCD panel makes it ideal for lifespan as in my opinion plasmas are a total waste of time and they just simply arent as good, and dont even compare to the x (i just cant even stress how nic this tv is)

but it totally slipped my mind but ill get some specs and prices for you tomoro.

no worries

salo

Thanks again, looking forward to it.

Associate
yeh well i checked at work today because i was certain that we had a price list in for it and i could have sworn i even looked at it but it werent there but i called up sony and basically for the 40 your gonna be looking at around 3 as the current kdl40v2000 is 2299 so ** looking at around 3 for the 40 then the 46 is gonna be about 4 and the 52 will be around 5

obv its up to you mate which one you wanna go for but i can only show you the door u no but trust me what on the other side is a sweet crisp picture my friend.

message me if you decide to get on cos obv i work at a sony centre so hopefully i can sort you out.

Associate
OP
salo said:
yeh well i checked at work today because i was certain that we had a price list in for it and i could have sworn i even looked at it but it werent there but i called up sony and basically for the 40 your gonna be looking at around 3 as the current kdl40v2000 is 2299 so ** looking at around 3 for the 40 then the 46 is gonna be about 4 and the 52 will be around 5

obv its up to you mate which one you wanna go for but i can only show you the door u no but trust me what on the other side is a sweet crisp picture my friend.

message me if you decide to get on cos obv i work at a sony centre so hopefully i can sort you out.

Thanks for the info Salo... I found this site http://www.burnyourbonus.co.uk/hdtv-faq/faq5.html

which basically says:

52X -> £5k
46X -> £3.3k
40X -> £2.6k

Unfortunately I don't think I'm gonna go for the 52X as that's just way too much to spend for an extra few inches. However I'm tempted to go for the 40X or the 46X if I get a good deal on it.

The private messaging doesn't work it seems so here's my e-mail address:
[email protected]
Give me a shout and hopefully in a couple of months we can work something out :)

Associate
OP
Metaliron said:
Thanks for the info Salo... I found this site http://www.burnyourbonus.co.uk/hdtv-faq/faq5.html

which basically says:

52X -> £5k
46X -> £3.3k
40X -> £2.6k

Unfortunately I don't think I'm gonna go for the 52X as that's just way too much to spend for an extra few inches. However I'm tempted to go for the 40X or the 46X if I get a good deal on it.

The private messaging doesn't work it seems so here's my e-mail address:
[email protected]
Give me a shout and hopefully in a couple of months we can work something out :)

we got loads of time and everything but still waiting on your e-mail :p

Back
Top Bottom