Useful info for NTL 10MB users suffering from poor/slow service

Associate
If you have any cable modem other than a little blue one with ntl: Home 250 underneath it, and you are getting dropouts/poor performance, then give CS a call and ask for a modem swap.

ntl: Home 100s and 120s cannot fully support 10MB at the moment. Firmware to 'fix' it is still unstable, so I suggest you switch your modem for the 250 - I did, and I got a stable full 10MB connection instantly.

Hope this helps some of you

Associate
Did you not have to pay for the Modem upgrade?
I called them some time ago and was told that i would have to pay £50 for a new modem as there is phyically nothing wrong with the old one ? Although you cant get 10Mb through it !!!! :mad:

Soldato
Ak!ta said:
Did you not have to pay for the Modem upgrade?
I called them some time ago and was told that i would have to pay £50 for a new modem as there is phyically nothing wrong with the old one ? Although you cant get 10Mb through it !!!! :mad:

Same here, at least when 10Mb was first introduced. I've got the Surfboard 3100, which is not supposed to get 10Mb although I get full speed downloads on some sites like FilePlanet.

Personally I'm just going to downgrade to the 2Mb connection rather than pay £50 for a new modem if that's what they want for it now.

Associate
Well spoke with there CS, same old story... :mad:
I must say that there CS used to be good up until last year, now it sucks !!!
I could just buy a new Modem from the bay, but i dont see why i should.

Well im looking into another company that supply 16Mb broadband, although also heard some bad things about them aswell :(

Just found a company supplying 24Mb @ £24.00 pm ?
https://www.bethere.co.uk/

Anyone got any other suggestions :confused:

Last edited:
Permabanned
Did you not threaten customer services with your withdrawal from NTL? It can sometimes work wonders, I've seen stories where people have got amazing deals such as 10mb broadband for £20/pm after threatening to leave.

It's got to be worth a try.

Associate
OP
Phone CS, tell them you have a fault on your cable modem connection, tell them you are not achieving the correct download speeds, tell them to send an engineer out.
When engineer arrives tell him the same story, ask him to swap it for a shiny 250 et voila ! No charge.

P90

P90

Associate
well ive just got ntl and ive got an blue one and its crap only get speeds of 9620 d/l and 468 u/l ;)

Associate
OP
P90 said:
well ive just got ntl and ive got an blue one and its crap only get speeds of 9620 d/l and 468 u/l ;)

lol :D
I've actually downgraded back to 2MB in anticipation of their upgrade (for free) to 4MB down and 400K up ! No brainer in my opinion.

Associate
Well, its been bugging me all day so i decided one more try ...
Called them explained the situation over again and given the same story (£50 for new modem). So told them that i can get a faster connection for a lot less and (after loosing it) to cancel my contract.....

20 mins later a phone call...NTL !!! Please dont leave you are a valued customer Blah Blah Blah.......

"Well what if we give you the modem upgrade and we will cover the cost"

"Hmm .. still not happy with the price - can get faster and cheaper elsewhere"

"let me speak to my manager..Ok you can have Talk Unlimited 24 free as well as a good will gesture"

Hesitated for a while longer and said i'd get back to them... then got offered free Telephone Line Rental for 3 Months as well......

:eek: "well ok then, if you can guarantee me all that free then i'll stay" :D
Engineer booked for Thursday AM !!!

Sweet Deal me thinks......thanks guys for the advice :D

Soldato
machinist said:
I work there - believe you me, it happens early June.

since when have NTL staff been kept up to date? :p

machinist said:
Interesting, and you've been getting full 1.2Mbps download speeds ?

ntl-hell_10mb.jpg

close enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
james.miller said:
phone em. my modem wouldnt accept the auto update file but i got them to sort it manualy. worked fine every since.

I have the new blue modem and the new 500k upload but dont get over 3mbs download speed, so i have half of the update, wierd. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom