M-audio DELTA 1010LT

Soldato
Hey,

I have the oppotunity to buy this sound card from my driving instructor for £25

Its the "M-audio DELTA 1010LT"

I know NOTHING about this type of stuff so i was wondering if this is any good? Im going to use it to obviously record my guitar onto the computer.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010LT-main.html

If you look at this link beliw
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/1161

You can see an image of the card with LOADS!!! of connectors, which of these is for what? lol

Last edited:
Permabanned
I would bite his hand off mate!

I have the 4 in/4 out version of that - http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-main.html which cost me over 60 notes new, so you are getting a load more inputs/outputs and by the look of it, you can also take mic's via XLR without have to go through a mixer.

If you get into cubase, you'll find those MIDI ports really useful for VST's in future.

Bargain!

Soldato
OP
Ohh i think i may get it.

How exacly would i plug my guitar in?

Would it go straight from the guitar to the sound card? or though the guitar>amp>soundcard?

Permabanned
Andr3w said:
Ohh i think i may get it.

How exacly would i plug my guitar in?

Would it go straight from the guitar to the sound card? or though the guitar>amp>soundcard?

Well I've got into plugging guitar totally dry via a mixer into cubase and adding the effects from there. The benefit being that you can change the distortion/effects etc without having to re-record the guitar.

If you don't want to do that, you are best going through a V-Amp or Pod. With those inputs, if you have a decent mic and a decent amp, you could mic up the amp and go from mic > XLR.

Don't even think about it though, get the card for that price and worry about it later!

Soldato
OP
i have a pretty good PC

Im getting the card on wednesday (if he remembers to bring it to my driving lesson lol)

How/where does the guitar plug into?Which lead, would i need one of those adapters, i think tis 1/4inch to 1/8th?

Associate
I've been getting into recording recently, and got a similar but much more basic one for about 60 quid, the same one starscream mentioned. Definately buy this, assuming it's working fine.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
i've got an M-Audio firewire 410 external card, and the quality of it's amazing. i only use it with garageband and a crappy mic, but it does the job very well. lovely user interface, too. if you hadn't already gone for it, i'd be telling you to!! ;)

Soldato
OP
get it tomorrow :)

When i start recording, whats some good programs to use? Ive heard of cubase before, hows this? Are you able to lay down pre made drum tracks with this?

Associate
the card is great i have been using one for ages..

you can't easily plug the guitar in without a few dongles or microphones, the 8 ins on mine are plugged into my mixer, makes life a lot easier so i don't have to fumble about the back of the music PC.

As far as programs go, Cubase is pretty good but by no means a easy program to use, takes a bit of playing before you start to get it. you can add audio/midi till your hearts content but you need VST instruments to take full advantage of midi.

Logic is Mac only unless you can find a copy of Logic 5.5 which is PC compatable.

Pro-Tools free is good (and free!) but only works under 98SE or ME :\

if you want drums and other things i can highly recomend buying Reason 3. its like a virtual rack of gear when you Re-Wire it with cubase or newer versions of logic.

edit: make sure you read up on channel 1+2s preamps and the jumpers involved to turn them on and off, depending on how you use it.

Soldato
OP
skinnyl said:
you can't easily plug the guitar in without a few dongles or microphones, the 8 ins on mine are plugged into my mixer, makes life a lot easier so i don't have to fumble about the back of the music PC.
How would i go about plugging it in then? what adappter do i need to buy

Associate
Andr3w said:
How would i go about plugging it in then? what adappter do i need to buy

basically, the first 2 inputs of the 8 have XLR ins (microphone cable) the rest have RCA's (like on a hifi). the first 2 will probably be too sensitive due to impedance issues (unless you play with the jumpers on the card).

so the cheap option would be to get a Male RCA to Female 1/4" mono adapter.

although if it was me, i'd choose a DI box and an XLR cable to go into the low impedance 1 or 2 XLR channel

or again get some sort of cheapish (depending on budget) micrphone and an XLR cable.

When you install it i recomend you get the latest drivers from www.m-audio.com. you need to install the drivers first, THEN put the card in. windows fill find something on boot and you tell it just automatically find the drivers and you're away!

i tweaked my music PC using this website http://www.musicxp.net found that i helped a bit with freeing up resources.

hope it helps. :)

Last edited:
Associate
will need a preamp for a guitar signal, some sort of pedal etc will be ok.
depending on the guitar of course, and how hot the signal it generates.

good cards, and for the price, well worth it. bit excessive for your needs though I think.

I have an m-audio firewire solo, needs a tad of preamp (the box has preamps in it, a 1010 doesnt!) to bring it up to line level.

Associate
well the 1010 has at least 2 mic pres on the first 2 channels, so you can plug a microphone in straight off. but it obviously can't provide phantom power.

but i dont think that will be an issue here.

Associate
they have pre's?
I didnt know that. i mean, I know that all sound cards have "pre's" i.e. even onboard has got a 20db boost button, but i just assumed the 1010 was meant to work inline with some sort of mixer/preamp.

live and learn.

in that case you probably dont need a pedal or anything. just go straight into the 1010.

Back
Top Bottom