LG Electronics L1950b??

Associate
Anyone got one of these or know anything about the LG Electronics L1950b? Any good for design work (not games or movies)?

I'm looking for a sub £300 19" tft (not TN) for design work, No games or movies!

Cheers!

Matt.

Man of Honour
the LG 1950B is based on an 8ms TN Film panel i'm afraid, so not really the most suited to graphics work and for the non-gamers out there. Lacie tend to make a lot of graphics screens, but budget might be a problem. You could look at PVA / MVA based screens like the Dell 1905FP or Belinea 101920 (8ms P-MVA edition) perhaps, but if you're a serious graphics worker, CRT's may be a better bet. It's a hard call. As you've suggested though, i would definitely recommend avoiding TN Film if you can

Associate
OP
Thanks for that! Didnt realise that the LG was TN.. Saw it reviewed in either mac format or mac user got nearly 5 out of 5! The other one they recommended was the Sharp LL-191A and the Sony SDM-HS95P.. any good?

Yeah its for when i work at home, at the studio i have a perfect CRT.. but lack the space at home to have one.. VERY small desk!!

Desperate for suggestions.. for £350 and under tft's aimed at graphic work.. it will never even see a game!

Thanks..

Matt.

Man of Honour
you have to be quite wary of magazine reviews, they never seem to take into account things like panel technologies or their associated pros and cons. The Sharp LL-191A is also a TN Film panel sadly (btw, you might find the panel search tool here handy to find out what technology is being used in various models :) The Sony HS95P is an MVA panel so a better choice. Be wary that Sony have updated this now to the HS95PR which is a TN Film panel. Some places have confused / mixed specs based on a combination of both these panels, so be careful

For graphics use, you certainly want a panel capable of a true 16.7 million colours (8 bit) so MVA, PVA and IPS panels are your best bet. Lacie and Eizo are generally considered good screens for colour accuracy and this kind of applicatio. NEC also do some good offerings. I think you may be best looking through their ranges rather than the more mainstream offerings which frequent these forum threads. See if you can narrow it down to some of their models and see if any fit the bill.

Associate
OP
I have just been reading your threads on the Belinea 10 20 35 and the Philips 200w6.. How would they do for graphics work?

I'm not looking at doing print work at home just mainly multimedia (CD-ROM) and web work.. the Print Layout can stay in the studio as all the machines are calibrated to be identicle .

Would either connect to a mac?

Thanks for your help so far!

Matt.

Man of Honour
not 100% sure about MAC connectivity, but might be worth checking with the manufacturers to be sure. The Belinea 102035W uses a P-MVA panel from AU Optronics. It offers pretty good colour reproduction but you will need to do some calibration to get some better accuracy, as out of the box colours are a little off. Do you have access to colorimeters or calibration hardware at all? Would come in handy :)

the Philips 200W6CS is a tricky one. I have not seen colour analysis of the new 8ms version on any hadrware sites yet. As far as the panel technology being used, I've heard things suggesting it could be S-IPS, P-MVA or even TN Film! It's so hard to tell and Philips don't seem to know either! I would be inclined to think it was an updated version of the 16ms S-IPS and should therefore offer good colour reproduction. Without colour gamut graphs and deltaE graphs, it's hard to say how good it is, but user reports are positive.

Both should offer some pretty decent colour reproduction for general graphics use (sounds like it's more general than professional, picky work). The Viewsonic VX2025WM is using the same panel as the Belinea as well, but is more accurately calibrated out of the box. It may mean that you get better colour reproduction qualities if you didn't have access to decent calibration tools. The NEC LCD20WGX2 is also very good, using AS-IPS panel technology. Very good colour accuracy there as well

Associate
OP
Thanks so much for that info!

Was on the verge of buying the philips today.. but even if there is the slightest chance that its a TN then i'll steer clear!

As for the Viewsonic VX2025wm, looks good and i think thats probably the one i'm going to go for! The NEC is a little out of my price range..

As its just to catch up with work that i've been doing in the studio that isn't Print work then i'm pretty sure the Viewsonic is the one to go for.. what do you think? Are there any reviews and colour measurements of the Viewsonic VX2025WM?

thanks again,

Matt.

Man of Honour
well if NEC is out of price range then the VX2025WM would be a good choice from the more common models. Certainly a popular screen on these forums. BeHardware measured the colour accuracy.

Out of the box:

IMG0016521.jpg

see here if you're not sure how to read these DeltaE graphs

and even better after calibration (see the link for analysis)

hth

Associate
OP
Yeah out of the box the colours look pretty wild! After calibration it doesn't look all that bad..

So i think thats the one, fingers crossed i have made the right choice! But as i said it's only for doing multimedia design work not print, so total colour accuracy isn't essential.

Man of Honour
should be good for all round colour depth / reproduction. Out of the box, that's actually not too bad in terms of colour accuracy! A bit of calibration always helps tho :)

Back
Top Bottom