Spam emails masquerading behind your email address - what to do?

Associate
An annoying American company is sending out spam random emails - nothing new there. But they are making it look like they are being sent from my business email address, which is giving us some serious aggravation from angry people mailing us with "UNSUBSCRIBE ME YOU *!*@#'ERS!". They tend to call me a liar if I say "it's not from us". And then question my parentage. Hmmm.

Help! Any idea what I can do?

Soldato
Drop them some info on how easy it is to spoof SMTP and tell them to @*~@ off ? (or more polite if they are more polite)

Oh and see if its at all possible to track down the yank company and ask that they very well explain the reasoning behind this before telling them in no uncertain terms of where they can stick their spam

Caporegime
Nothing you can do about it. It probably means that someone who has you in their address book has got a worm of some kind which has set up a spam relay on their machine, which is sending loads of mails and spoofing the from address using addresses out of their address book.

SCM

SCM

Associate
I had this with a previous email address of mines being spoofed and reported it to my ISP abuse department to deal with. I am assuming they managed to sort it out as shortly afterwards the replies to the faked emails from my spoofed address dried up.

SCM

Soldato
We've got this problem with our work email address which is done via yahoo (yeah I know, it was done before my time here :p ) its a real pain in the rear.

Every day my first job is to delete all the "Failed Delivery" replies to try and get to our actual emails. I emailed Yahoo about it and they were kind enough to reply 3 days later with a generic email detailing many different ways of stopping receiving spam emails :rolleyes:

We would change the address but getting everything with our email address on changed would cost us £1000's which we simply don't have :(

Permabanned
had this problem recently with someone just sticking random letters infront of my real addy and using that to send out his junk.I was getting 40+ failed delivery emails a day,makes me wonder how many were getting through.ISP fixed it for me,with the bonus that i now get no unrelated spam at all either :)
The contents of the returned emails were bizzarre too,just largish passages of text seemingly c+p'd at random.

Associate
I have had this problem in the past with spammers spoofing email addresses belonging to domain names that I own.

While it is annoying i've never had anyone reply asking to be unsubscribed.

Back
Top Bottom