CS lags when playing in server with step dad.

Associate
This is really bothering me, I have 3 pcs on a network in my house, running through a linksys router. The router has been cutting off sometimes, and to remedy this i just turn it off and on again. But, if i go to play cs in the same, or a different cs server as my step dad, it lags us both. Its fine if only one of us is playing, and it seems like i am the problem, as i was able to play on the laptop fine. I reformatted my machine, but it was no use. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? should i just replace the router?

Associate
type netgraph 1 in console on both pc's take a screenshot of you lagging on both pc's and put it on here + what rates you both using + what connection you on + try pinging (repeatedly) the ip to make sure it isnt your routing (ping -t)

Associate
OP
Its not my rates, i know all about rates, choke, and loss. They are all fine. Its only a 1mb ntl connection. The game will work fine now, as he isn't on, but if he trys to play too, even in a different cs server, it lags us both. Yet if im on the laptop (wirelessly) playing cs, and he is playing, it doesn't lag.

Associate
OP
What, the issue is just the fact the upsteam is so crap? It doesn't make sense, as it plays normal for a few minutes, then the pings get worse and worse. No downloading program is open. Im running out of reasons for it.

Is it ever possible that somehow the wired part of the router is causing lag? because like i said, if its the laptop(wireless) and his pc then it runs fine. Unless somehow this pc of mine (freashly formatted) has something nasty on it, but i installed avg and service pack 2 before even connecting to the net.

Its really doing my head in.

Associate
give us a pic of the two netgraphs..

anyhow cs uses somewhere between 6-9kb so between 96 - 144 kbits of ** upstream

Last edited:
Associate
The 128k up is going to be a problem, mine is hovering around 5-7k upload during play, times that by two and you have maxed your upstream.

Once you come close to a connections limits by a few kilobits it will become spiky. When the upstream is full downstream will not perform correctly (unless QOS is in place)

Associate
OP
What is the upload speed of ntls 2mb service, is it better? I don't want to sacrifice rates in cs, i'd rather pay more to fix it if thats the case. Don't really understand how to set up the QOS in the router config, im in it, but it asks for a lot of information and i don't really know what to give it. Its the linksys WRK54G btw. Thanks a lot for the help so far, at least i know whats going on now.

Associate
Download Speed: 2003 kbps (250.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 184 kbps (23 KB/sec transfer rate)

Thats for my 2MB NTL line, but by june 1st all 2MB users get upgraded to 4MB down, 400k up.

Back
Top Bottom