Some Newb Router questions?

Permabanned
So, I've finally got around to buying a Router, its a Netgear DG834 DSL Modem and 4 port Network Firewall Router I won on auction.

1: What I need to know is, are the cables I connect to each PC the same type of Cat 5 crossover cables I used to connect my main PC to my laptop? I need to know so I can buy 3 cables of the correct type for my 3 PC's before the router arrives.

2: Second question, does this Router give line stats to indicate if its worthwhile me going for ADSL Max? I only have a PCI modem at the moment and this does not give that info, and prior to Max DSL, my line would only support 1MB (That I'm on now) with Zen.

3: Since this Router has a built in hardware firewall, can I now totally disable my software firewalls (Sygate Pro) on my 3 PC's? Or is it best to keep Sygate as well?

Bonus question, is this Router decent enough? I'm really not worried about Wireless.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
1. No, you need patch cat5e cable i.e. non-crossover.
2. Yes, Router status from the left hand column menu, then scroll down the page to look at Connection Statistics (IIRC).
3. Keep your firewall - routers are good when behind NAT's but in all honesty, I always keep a firewall up anyway.

Bonus: Served me well for 2.5 years - not so great on the longer lines on Max but for medium to short lines, perfectly fine.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks Smids, good clear concise answers for a Router dummy like me :)

I was about to go and order 2 more crossover cables, but I thought I'd better ask here first, will now go order 3 non crossover cables.

Cheers.

Associate
i thought the dg834 had auto sensing ports, so you could use crossover or patch cables. dont quote me on this though.

but if your ordering new cables anyway you might as well just get patch ones.

Permabanned
OP
Hmmm, confused now.

Downloaded the Netgear DG834 Router manual, and this is what it says ...

Ethernet Cabling Requirements

The DG834 router connects to your Ethernet LAN via twisted-pair cables. If the computer will connect to your network at 100 Mbps, you must use a Category 5 (CAT5) cable.

So, crossover like I have now, or non crossover? The twisted pair mentioned in the manual suggests crossover to me, but then again, I'm still a newb at networking ;)

I'll hold off ordering until I know for sure, its not that the cables are expensive, just want to get up and running on the day the Router arrives.

Thanks again Guys.

Soldato
I have used patch non-crossover cables with that router for 2.5 years without problems.

As a general rule, like to like components require a crossover e.g. computer to computer, whilst different components require patch e.g. computer to router. There should be a lot of info in the sticky on this. Personally, I've always used patch to connect via cable to the router.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks again Smids. I'll just go ahead and order patched cables.

Could be this Router auto senses and compensates for the cable type, but it seems I cant go wrong with patched Cat 5 cables.

Glad I took the time to clarify though, it might help someone in a similar position reading this thread.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom