Best Blog Software / Installation Advice

Soldato
Hey fellas,
I'm thinking about starting a website to host a number of things. These will include photos from my different travels and pictures of myself and the missus, and all my chums.

I also want this website to include a Blog, so that I can post things about updates to the website, and random thoughts and funnies. This website will mainly be for myself and my mates, but that doesn't mean I don't want it to be interesting for other visitors too.

So, my question to you is, what blog software should I be looking at, and what does said software need installed on the server. How easy is it to set up, and how much will it cost? (Preferably absolutely nothing at all ;))

All other advice welcome,

Cheers fellas!

Ant :cool:

JPL

JPL

Associate
Yo ! Fellow Farnhamite........:D

Firstly head over to HERE and check out all of the free Blogs/CMS/Galleries/Forums etc and have a play around with them - all of the usual suspects are there.

Do you have any hosting? PHP and SQL are a must for most apps.A site with a blog,gallery,forum and other stuff can be put together by a monkey in a spacesuit,usually in a couple of hours!

Soldato
OP
I have hosting from the company I used to work for. Although their servers are pretty dated and may still not be supporting everything I need.

If not, care to suggest some free/reasonable hosting I could consider?

Cheers,
Ant :cool:

EDIT: By the way, where abouts are you in Farnham bud?

Last edited:

JPL

JPL

Associate
In the Town centre (by the river) previously a resident of ..... 'Castle Street' :p by way of Frensham for five years.

Not sure theres any free php/sql hosting out there Ant - mine costs £40 per year from Dream Hosting UK and lets me do pretty much what I wanna.Small price to pay if you consider the cost of thangs nowadays ;) (after all the Net is mostly a hobby ,like Golf/Sex/Sportz/Cameras/Tech toys etc..heh!)
Lets face it if you can afford a computer/and a connection,then you are not on the bread-line........Buy some hosting mate :D - Make your hobby more fun now!!!

Associate
I use Dreamhost.com on a £50 plus free domain for 2 years job.

They actually have wizards for gallery and blog software which makes it all even easier plus 20GB space which I needed a fair chunk of for my photos.

Very good so far but it's only been a month.

Back
Top Bottom