Spuds, Pasta & Rice?

Soldato
So if I wanna watch my calories but like something like one of the above with me chicken and veg… what do I go for? What the best calorie wise? I know cous cous is quite good but not sure how that works out calorie and fat wise..

Any ideas guys and gals?

also what other alternatives are there these days? I wanna get the cals down but still have a fair portion..

Last edited:
Permabanned
Crazy Fool said:
So if I wanna watch my calories but like something like one of the above with me chicken and veg… what do I go for? What the best calorie wise? I know cous cous is quite good but not sure how that works out calorie and fat wise..

Any ideas guys and gals?

brown rice i think? google perhaps?

Associate
Try whole grain rice, or pasta. Or Sweet Potatoes theyre better for you than the ordinary jacket!

I've decided to cut down on carbs (not cut them out) but my diet consists so much of bread pasta and potatoes Im going to try and stop eating them, and replace it with salads and fish and meats more!

Soldato
OP
holly35 said:
Try whole grain rice, or pasta. Or Sweet Potatoes theyre better for you than the ordinary jacket!

I've decided to cut down on carbs (not cut them out) but my diet consists so much of bread pasta and potatoes Im going to try and stop eating them, and replace it with salads and fish and meats more!

ok cool, will check the sweet spud range out...

i need my carbs as hit the gym for diffirent classes & workouts everyday

Associate
The only thing to take into consideration is the quantity really.

Further to that, brown rice, boiled is better than say white rice, fried.

Sweet potatoes are good and have a low GI. Also boiling potatoes and not mashing keeps the GI lower.

So don't worry too much about what carb you're eating, just make sure it's a moderate amount. Avoid eating carbs when there's any significant amount of fat in your meal too.

Soldato
OP
starnge how it works, i lost over 7 stone on slimming world eating nothing but carbs! - now i have lost the weight i stick to cals and find you get little for your cals when it comes to carbs :(

Man of Honour
Johnny Girth said:
The only thing to take into consideration is the quantity really.

Further to that, brown rice, boiled is better than say white rice, fried.

Sweet potatoes are good and have a low GI. Also boiling potatoes and not mashing keeps the GI lower.

So don't worry too much about what carb you're eating, just make sure it's a moderate amount. Avoid eating carbs when there's any significant amount of fat in your meal too.
Sorry, what's GI?

Associate
Crazy Fool said:
yeah i was just reading up on them on the net, seem like they are one of the best root veggies going... not sure if they will go with every meal though

They are just as versatile as a white spud. I switched to sweet potatos, and brown pasta and rice, a few months back.

Man of Honour
Cous cous is very good.

No fat. And its protein based, so excellent if your doing weight training as well..

Potatoes probably the best. But it odesn't make much diffrence its what you put on it. Also try to eat brown rice and brown pasta.

Associate
I want to cut them odwn because my whole diet is pretty much made up of them, and I know thats why I find it hard to lose weight/keep a good weight because i dont do enough exercise to burn all my carbs off! Im not cutting out carbs im just avoiding bread and pasta!

Man of Honour
holly35 said:
I want to cut them odwn because my whole diet is pretty much made up of them, and I know thats why I find it hard to lose weight/keep a good weight because i dont do enough exercise to burn all my carbs off! Im not cutting out carbs im just avoiding bread and pasta!

Eat cous cous then.. Its so easy to make. and taste great.

equal qauntities of cous cous and boiled water. cover and leave for 5mins.. add a stock cube to the water to make extra tasty. 1 cube per bag.

Also do you *** a lot of bread? if so try cutting that out. Its all about balancing though. Just try to vary the carbs you eat so potatoe one, rice another ect.

Associate
AcidHell2 said:
Eat cous cous then.. Its so easy to make. and taste great.

equal qauntities of cous cous and boiled water. cover and leave for 5mins.. add a stock cube to the water to make extra tasty. 1 cube per bag.

Also do you *** a lot of bread? if so try cutting that out. Its all about balancing though. Just try to vary the carbs you eat so potatoe one, rice another ect.

Yeah Iv replaced bread with ryvita, pitta is meant to be good to! Cous cous is yum il see if we have any!

Back
Top Bottom