Trim the fat...

Associate
I've found a good uppgrade for my machine, but it's about £150 over budget.

I can reduce to 1 GIG RAM, which saves me £50, get a Athlon 64 3700+ (OEM) plus cooler for £120 in this weeks deals or I can go for a lower spec GPU like X800XT for £112.

£54.95 Abit KN8 Ultra nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express
£169.95 AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (Socket 939) - Retail
£144.95 GX-121-SP Sapphire ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3
£99.95 Corsair 2GB DDR Value Select PC3200 CAS3.0 Kit (2x1GB)

Subtotal £469.80
VAT £82.22
Total £552.02

Any suggestions how I can bring the price down without taking too much of a performance hit?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
You could get the Gigabyte K8NMF-9 nForce4 Micro ATX to save around £15 which will offer about the same level of performance as long as you don't need a lot of PCI slots. You could change the Ram for OcUK value and save another £10 or so but it is difficult to make much more of a saving. If you aren't going to be doing a lot of multitasking then I'd get the 3700, if you are then I'd maybe get the cheaper graphics card.

Associate
I would leave as is and save up the extra. To save £150 you'll have to drop the whole lot and start again and at the moment what you have is about min spec for a new rig, any less and it's out of date already IMO.

Associate
one thing i would keep in that setup is the graphic card, bang for buck it is head and sholders above the competition, if you went for a cheeper one you would loose loads of performance for very little monetary gain

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, appreciate the suggestions... even if they seem to suggest I can't really downspec much.

The machine is used for gaming. Nothing too heavy duty, but I would like to be able to use it for at least a couple of years with most games. At the moment I play mostly World of Warcraft, with a bit of Civ IV, Dawn of War and Oblivion. So yes, I'd like to keep the X1800XT...

Other than that it's a TV, stereo and Word processor, but never while I'm playing games of course.

I don't use the machine for multitasking of any kind so maybe going for the 3700+ is the best option. That's £50 saved. If I also go for 1 Gig RAM then that is another £50. I can always scrape together £50 extra for the graphics card. I have even seen on this forum that there can be problems running a multi core CPU with many games and XP needs patching...

I might just bite the bullet and save up for the extra £150 if that makes a huge difference. Do I really lose out by doing 3700+ and/or 1 Gig RAM?

Associate
Monstermunch said:
I would leave as is and save up the extra. To save £150 you'll have to drop the whole lot and start again and at the moment what you have is about min spec for a new rig, any less and it's out of date already IMO.

Is that minimum OCuk forum spec, or minimum giant retailer spec? :D Coz my rig i have just about finished building aint even got an X1800 lol. (as sig)

Anyway Dancer is 2gig of RAM really essential? I would have thought you'd be better off with high quality 2x512 set than value 2x1gig and save a load to boot! EDIT Soz dude just re-read your previous post :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
For a game rig I would change the 3800 for 3700 SD and clock the nuts of it. Other wise i wouldn't want to lower the spec tbh. 2Gb ram is quite good for games like Fear, stops a lot of loading.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Will my Antec Neo 480W power supply be enough and is it of the right type to power the motherboard and PCI-E X1800 XT graphics card?

It has to be ATX2.0 compliant right? I believe it is but am not 100% sure...

Man of Honour
The Antec Neo 480w will give you enough power, it doesn't have to be ATX 2.0 compliant for it to work but if it isn't you will need a 20-24pin adapter for the motherboard and a 4-6pin adapter for the graphics card which takes 2x ordinary molex and makes them into a PCI-E adapter, you may get one with the graphics card but if not then they are available here.

The only way to really save money is to go for the 3700 I think, my other suggestions would save you a little extra but I'm afraid I'd simply advise saving up enough as otherwise it will be a false economy :)

Associate
OP
Thanks, yes it has a 24 pin connector for the motherboard, so I guess it is ATX2.0 compliant.

Not sure it has a 6 pin adaptor for the the graphics card, but if I'm looking at the right model on the Antec site it does. I'll check when I get home.

Phew... if I had to get a new PSU that would have really blown the budget.

Associate
OP
Now if I go for this one AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm (Socket 939) - OEM (CP-150-AM), I'm assuming it comes without a fan as it's OEM.

So I'd have to add something like Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler and Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound which brings the total to £130 + VAT. I still save around £40 from the dual core though... not much I know but it does help a little...

Associate
If you have to stick to the budget rigidly - get a 3000+ or 3200+ venice and clock it to within an inch of its life. The OEM 3000+ is only £75 Retail £82.

You should get at least 2.5ghz as long as your board does a reasonable HTT.

If you are prepared to spend £150 on the 3700+, then I'd say shop around - you can get 3800+ X2s for £170 delivered

Back
Top Bottom