Speeding question - no proof

Soldato
Got pulled on the A22 few nights ago.

They "think" I was doing 65 in a 40 although they were not 100% and tbh I have no idea on the speed I was doing although considering my gf was in the car it wouldnt have been silly as she hates speeding :o

Do they have a leg to stand on without record/proof of my speed?

Don't particually want £60/3 points when I don't even know I was speeding! :)

Soldato
Teledude said:
Got pulled on the A22 few nights ago.

They "think" I was doing 65 in a 40 although they were not 100% and tbh I have no idea on the speed I was doing although considering my gf was in the car it wouldnt have been silly as she hates speeding :o

Do they have a leg to stand on without record/proof of my speed?

Don't particually want £60/3 points when I don't even know I was speeding! :)
I think if there are two officers in the car that pulled you then they can make a judgement that you were doing excessive speed... which is a bit of a stupid rule imo.

Soldato
Don't think they can as they have to have definite proof you were driving dangerously. They usually try and fool you into admitting you were speeding or doing something wrong (i have relatives as policemen)

Soldato
OP
lordrobs said:
I think if there are two officers in the car that pulled you then they can make a judgement that you were doing excessive speed... which is a bit of a stupid rule imo.

There were two officers... so basically its thier word against mine?

Soldato
OP
Gaygle said:
Don't think they can as they have to have definite proof you were driving dangerously. They usually try and fool you into admitting you were speeding or doing something wrong (i have relatives as policemen)

I accepted the ticket to avoid agro - surely that does not mean agreement? :)

Soldato
Yer I think thats the case too. They cant give you any of the higher punishments (ie for a certain amount over the speed limit) because they dont know your exact speed.

But if there was more than one officer and both of the officers agree that you appeared to be going significantly faster than the speed limit then they can give you something on the basis.

Not sure just how far they can go, but I doubt it would be too harsh.

Their argument is that they are experienced law enforcement officers that do the job every day and are therefore good and judging peoples speed.......im saying nothing.

Soldato
OP
Nazbit said:
Yer I think thats the case too. They cant give you any of the higher punishments (ie for a certain amount over the speed limit) because they dont know your exact speed.

But if there was more than one officer and both of the officers agree that you appeared to be going significantly faster than the speed limit then they can give you something on the basis.

Not sure just how far they can go, but I doubt it would be too harsh.

Their argument is that they are experienced law enforcement officers that do the job every day and are therefore good and judging peoples speed.......im saying nothing.

Ill see them in court then and ask :)

Don
The "expert opinion of a police officer" is a valid piece of evidence and two "expert opinions" is corroboration and will generally be accepted as conclusive

Soldato
OP
Steve said:
As police and there and being two of them there statement will be considered fact as they are meant to be unbiased upholders of the law.

Think that was from a freind who is a copper.

/prints off every story of police speeding off duty

how long does it usually take to goto court?

Soldato
iCraig said:
If they have no evidence, no.

youre wrong. the exact same thing happened to me... accused me of doing 70, then 65 then 60 officially written on the ticket on a 40pmh road. no proof and 2 officers. they asked me what speed i was doing i said 40. they told me i wasnt. when i said i wasnt speeding, they said "we'll see you in court" and laughed in my face. so i did. even though the police officers statements contradicted each other AND on paper it was impossible to achieve what they accused me of AND i had a solicitor, i still lost. magistrates are blind to the fact that the police are infallable. ended up with a big fine and 3 points.

to be honest its not worth the hassle mate. £60 and 3 points and try not to let it get to you :(

Last edited:
Permabanned
Phantom said:
youre wrong. the exact same thing happened to me... accused me of doing 70, then 65 then 60 officially written on the ticket on a 40pmh road. no proof and 2 officers. they asked me what speed i was doing i said 40. they told me i wasnt. when i said i wasnt speeding, they said "we'll see you in court" and laughed in my face. so i did. even though the police officers statements contradicted each other AND on paper it was impossible to achieve what they accumsed me of AND i had a solicitor, i still lost. magistrates are blind to the fact that the police are infallable. ended up with a big fine and 3 points.

to be honest its not worth the hassle mate. £60 and 3 points and try not to let it get to you :(

Seems extremely harsh with no evidence. How fast were you actually going?

Soldato
Phantom said:
youre wrong. the exact same thing happened to me... accused me of doing 70, then 65 then 60 officially written on the ticket on a 40pmh road. no proof and 2 officers. they asked me what speed i was doing i said 40. they told me i wasnt. when i said i wasnt speeding, they said "we'll see you in court" and laughed in my face. so i did. even though the police officers statements contradicted each other AND on paper it was impossible to achieve what they accumsed me of AND i had a solicitor, i still lost. magistrates are blind to the fact that the police are infallable. ended up with a big fine and 3 points.

Exactly the same thing happened to a mate of mine a few years back. He was driving through purley on the A23, The police car was parked in a side road. They pulled out and stopped him claiming he was doing some stupidly high speed, probably because his exhaust system was quite loud. He went to court and although they couldn't prove what speed he was doing he was given a big fine and 3 points.

Back
Top Bottom