• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

About to hit "Add to Cart", but worth it?

Associate
Ok, current system is an Epox 9NDA3+ with 4x 512MB Partiot XBLK RAM, Opteron 144 at 2.4Ghz (270x9), GF 6800Ultra...

I've had it for a while and have the urge to go for a X1800XT 256MB and an Asus A8N Sli Premium.

Will the difference in preformance be worth it considering I could shift my current stuff and get back most of the money?

Associate
Well, the motherboard will let you get that opty up to 2.6-2.8 if the core is up to it (though you'll need some extra cooling) and the graphics card will give you a nice boost over your 6800ultra. I'd be tempted to just get the motherboard for now (it's an SLi motherboard too so an nvidia card would 'fit' better) and see what you can do with your processor (the extra 200-400mhz will help a lot with Oblivion).

Having said that the X1800XTs really are a steal at that price and though they'll only give you a moderate boost you can probably sell your old card for a ton and make a good part of that back.

Crickey. I don't know. I'd probably go down the graphics card route first, then think about either getting a better mother board or a better processor in a few months. Or wait till AM2/conro is on the market and get both a cpu and motherboard at once.

No, the premium is awesome, especially if you want to go RAID 5, it was so easy to set up for me.

Ignore me. I'm a bit drunk and all upgrade ideas sound good right now. (So glad i don't have any credit card details to hand or i'd be hovering over the 'add to cart' button myself).

Associate
OP
Its a toughie indeed. I can get the board pretty cheep and I could sell my 6800 Ultra for abit too.....not sure whether I'd see the gain or jsut the bragging rights....?

Soldato
LoadsaMoney said:
You would get an absolute huge performance boost, i went to an x1800 XT 512mb from an x800 XT PE, and the performance increase is staggering. :)

Have to agree there fully, similar sort of upgrade I made. Amazing how 18 or so months in graphics technology does - hence why the cost of graphics card is quite a lot - can see X1900's being about £150 in 18 months or so! lol :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Nelly said:
Have to agree there fully, similar sort of upgrade I made. Amazing how 18 or so months in graphics technology does - hence why the cost of graphics card is quite a lot - can see X1900's being about £150 in 18 months or so! lol :rolleyes:

in 18months the x1900 xt will be like a 9800 pro lol

Soldato
Erm no, been over 2 years since the 6800ultra came out and its still a decent card, only now with the newer games is it truly unplayable at high settings at 1280 and below res's

Caporegime
Vegeta said:
Erm no, been over 2 years since the 6800ultra came out and its still a decent card, only now with the newer games is it truly unplayable at high settings at 1280 and below res's

But thats two years ago.

PC hardware moves fast and in 18 months the x1900 xt will be out of date.
DX 10 faster cores etc....

See them on auction for peanuts.

Look at the 7800 GT people can't give them away since the release of 7900 GT.

Why would someone get a a 7800 GT (unless wanting a sli upgrade on the cheap) for 150 quid second hand when fifty more gets you a 7900 GT.

give it 2 months and 7800 GT'S will be had for 100 quid mark my words. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
LoadsaMoney said:
You would get an absolute huge performance boost, i went to an x1800 XT 512mb from an x800 XT PE, and the performance increase is staggering. :)

Have to agree here.

I would also advise you to get the X1800XT. Very nice boost in speed & at a good price.

Soldato
Ditto on the x1800xt recommendations! :cool:

You'd get a bit back for your 6800 so flog it and add the difference! The performance increase will be pretty big with your processor clocked! At the moment the 6800's possibly coming close to bottlenecking the rest of the pc!

You would probably end up adding £100 at most so just go for it! :D

gt_junkie

Back
Top Bottom