I let someone steal my housemates stuff! : (

Soldato
Well.....this sucks:

My two housemates are away on hols in the Dominican Republic, they're a couple, and from what I know they are having a good time. They're a couple, and could do with a break from here (problems with families etc) Rang them earlier however and they were arguing again (they do it a lot) about some nonsence or other.

Meh.....I think, and think nothing more of it, and go about the rest of my day as usual.

About an 2 hours ago, his mum turns up at the door, I'v e seen her before and all so I know its her, with her sister and says that he rang her and asked if she could come and pick up his stuff from the house, as when they get back from Holiday he'll be moving out to stay with his mum for a bit. Apparently the whole relationship has fallen apart.

Now....I'm not one to let random strangers into my house, but I did know this woman, I knew it was his mum, and lacking the ability to call him, and knowing that the pair of them were arguing earlier, I figured that it might well be that bad, and have no real reason to not let her take some stuff away with her. Just a few boxes of book and stuff, laptop, whatever she could fit in her poky little car. Now...as shes about to drive off.....she says to me...."Don't be telling *female housemate* about this.....shes not to know until he comes back."......2I'll come back tomorow for the rest of the stuff, ok?"

Now......of course shortly after shes gone, I'm a bit hot under the collar....I sat and thought about it, and was thinking "Wow.....what a ****, hes on hols with his girl and he doesnt even have the spine to tell her its all over face-to-face. Hes just going to get here and leave??"

****** behaviour, I'm sure you'll agree.

So, I ring him, fully wanting to give him a full on verbal beating down the phone. I'm not happy, he could have warned me his ma was coming here to grab this stuff.

Now......you all know what happens don't you?
He never rang his mother,
Never asked her to take it to her house,
and
The pair of them have make up.

So.....basically I've let someone walk off with his stuff. I feel like a bit of a pillock to be honest. But what could I do? It was his mum, and I had no reason not to believe her. He seems to understand well enough, and isnt angry or anything but all the same, I do feel I've let him down somewhat.

His mother though......woe betide her should she dare turn up on my doorstep tomorow. I and certainly not a happy camper that I had what is no more than a thief prowling about my house. She nosied about my stuff too thinking it was his, spoke down to me, and generally seemed to think I was her little errand boy.

So.....when (if) she turns up tomorow to get the rest of the stuff, what do I say to her? I've already a good verbal attack lined up in my head.....any other suggestions to spice it up a bit? :mad:

I'm utterly fuming. She abused my trust and broke it. Its a pet hate of mine.

Soldato
Raymond Lin said:
call the police, it's theft technically since it's the son's property and she is taking without consent.
I'd only be doing that on my mates say so. Wouldn't feel it my place to make that call.

Caporegime
Hmm i wouldnt get involved in this one tbh. You shouldnt feel too bad about anything, you did the right thing at the time with the inforamtion you knew.

Sure if she comes again dont let her in but dont get into a verbal slagging match with mother.

She sounds like a bit of a loon. If she starts breaking down the front door call the police :)

Soldato
My uni house mates would have let my mum in and would have let her take whatever without question.

Don't beat yourself up, I would have done the same.

Soldato
Definitely a delicate situation. I wouldn't let her take any more stuff personally, but as to the returning of the items already gone, I'd wait for him to get back and sort it out himself.

Don't get to involved, its probably a complete misunderstanding.

Soldato
OP
Efour2 said:
She sounds like a bit of a loon. If she starts breaking down the front door call the police :)

Lol.....thats nothing, the other housemates mum tried to kill me about 6 years ago. :p Think something along the lines of "Here's Johnny" except with a kitchen knife, a more sturdy door, and me making a swift window exit rather than screaming my arse off in a corner.

She is now classiffied insane or some such thing, so I guess thats "excusable". :rolleyes:

The blokes mum isnt getting a foot in my garden tomorow. She'll be told in no uncertain terms "where to shove it", and he can sort it out with her when he gets back.

Just like, you know, wanted to hear it from other people that there wasnt much else I could do at the time. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Le_Petit_Lapin said:
Lol.....thats nothing, the other housemates mum tried to kill me about 6 years ago. :p

She is now classiffied insane or some such thing, so I guess thats "excusable". :rolleyes:

Wow. Maybe you should consider getting your own place? Less crazies that way. :D

Associate
You weren't to know earlier, so don't sweat it. You know now though, so make sure she doesn't get in tomorrow and if she does get in against your will phone 999 straightaway. After punching her in the ovaries, ofc.

Associate
Just keep the door locked and say it's not your place to let her in.

When she starts talking down to you just hurl as much verbal abuse as you can at her and tell her you're calling the police. That should get her back for the way she spoke to you yesterday!

Associate
ferretmaster said:
Dont answer the door.

Also if you wish to leave after they have tried knocking on your door make sure the coast is clear. It could be a very uncomfertable sitution if they come up to you in the street and try to get in. If it gets out of control phone the police.

Permabanned
baseball%20bat.jpg

Associate
When I lived in London it was simple - No key, No come in the front door.
Sounds like a tricky situation you're in.
Can you rig a cam somewhere? - you know - covering the front door, Evidence of her lies to gain entrance later if it all goes wrong?

Back
Top Bottom