LL V1000 + A8N32 SLi - Heatpipes won't work?

Soldato
Hello folks,

Planning on a new PC (mobo died in current one, A7N8XE-D).

And the Asus A8N32 SLi Deluxe looks to be a top board.
I am also looking for a PC to be a little quieter, and the heatpipes on this one would seem to do well.

Except, I have heard that due to the LL V1000 inverting the mobo, that the heatpipes basically no longer function correctly on the Asus mobo. :(

Can anyone confirm that, and if so, would the DFi be a better choice for that case?
Really like the A8N32 though...

Thanks. :)

Man of Honour
I've got the same board in a V2100 which is basically the same case but with a bit of a beer gut :p

I've not had it long so I'm still determining what "normal" behaviour is but when stress testing with Prime95 the mainboard temp (which I understand is measured close to the Northbridge) doesn't stray above 45C. What is very apparent is that the mobo temp will rise above that if the case side is off which suggests that the rear exhaust is pulling air across the heatpipe heatsink correctly with the case closed.

I've also heard that the CPU heatsink will also affect how well the heatpipe is cooled. Some of the bigger heatsinks (Typhoon, SI-120 etc) blow down over that area quite nicely, personally I'm using a Ninja with an Akasa amber which doesn't push a huge amount of air over the heatpipe. I may try a bigger fan but the temps under load are fine so I'm not sure if I can be bothered.

Soldato
OP
Yep - I'm planning the Zalman CNPS9500 - As it cools around the CPU socket area, along with being fairly quiet yet good cooling.

By the sounds of it, the mobo will fit, and work, but not ideal for it's own cooling.

Would it be worth getting the Asus and replacing the NB and SB heatsinks with pasive ones? (And the one beside the CPU socket)

Or just get the DFi that works out of the box. (Replacing NB cooler later)
It's looking like the DFi at the moment. Grrrr. :p

Associate
There is of course another passive option, the Asus MVP ( origonal ) is a good board ( I have had two with no issues and most of the issues flagged with it center around high voltage overclocking ) and 100% non-heatpipe passive out of the box.

Soldato
The best passive option for these cases is the Gigabyty K8N pro-SLI.

Used them all and this one is the one which suits the V series the best out of the box, heatpipes wont work as designed upside down but with a few CFM over them they still make for a rock stable PC.

Associate
I have the A8N32-Sli mobo in a V1000 case and I think it works ok. Can someone show me some results of tests to show that the heatpipes don't work upside down? I think the difference will be minimal.
I've moded the cooling a little bit, i've taken the fan from the AMD cpu stock cooler, modded it to 7 volts and attached it on a arm to blow over the PCI area. This has lower the mobo temp by over 4C.
I also have the Zalman 9500 cpu cooler.

Soldato
OP
Day03 said:
Can someone show me some results of tests to show that the heatpipes don't work upside down?
The Thermalright SP97 has 3 x Heatpipes. (Current Socket A cooler)
From it's installation pic:
sp97dim.gif

There, the bend at the TOP is the worst. :s
Indicating that the heatpipe on the Asus would work best updides down.

They must be of a different design in the Asus mobo, but still - The heatpipes definitely seem to have limits to their orientation...

I have emailed Asus to ask them. :)

EDIT - Oh, and I went for it in the end anyway.
Thanks Day03 - Made me happier to know it will run OK at least.

Even the new DFi didn't quite match what I was looking for in the Asus. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The whole principle of a heatpipe is that heat rises, and it will rise through the pipe taking the heat away from the heat source, dissipating into the surrounding air as it goes.

Turning it upside down means the heat cant go down the pipe, so it is all stuck directly on the heat source; lowering the surface area for heat to dissipate into the surrounding air, thus increasing the temperature of the heat source.

Associate
I thought that heatpipes use pressure differentials produced by liquid being changed to vapour state and this cappilary movement transports the heat along the heatpipe. Is there any official statement from Asus that says not to use this mobo upside down?

Associate
Captain Fizz said:
Thanks Day03 - Made me happier to know it will run OK at least.

My mobo temp is 34C and it is the same as the CPU at idle. It never goes above 40C. I don't think I can get it lower unless I lower the room temperature.

Can someone turn their case upside down and see if it makes any difference to the mobo temp. I cannot do it with my one as my HDDs are not securely fixed and would fall down :)

Soldato
A8n -Premium (older one)

Heatpipes up the right way was 4deg cooler than upside down.

It is how they are designed, the P180 lists incompatabilities if you have a dig around.

Soldato
My Asus A8N32-SLI temps are CPU FX-55 @2.8GHz is 32c idle & the motherboard is 30c(Bit higher than normal but it is warm today) this is the correct way up cooled by a Thermalright SI-120 with 120mm Panaflo Low speed fan(Soon to be installed in a Lian-Li PC7+ with a Vapochill LS :) )

Soldato
OP
So it looks like the temp will be acceptable then. :)

Thanks peeps.

I have ordered it (should be here monday!) and have the V1000 sitting waiting for it.

If there are issues, I'll get the heatsink recommended by Asus (imported from USA!) for the mofsets and 2 x Zalman NB Heatsinks.
Should be plenty of airflow by the 120mm to keep her cool.

I have not heard back from Asus yet re the email I sent them...

Associate
ive got a Asus A8N32-SLI and im going for the V1200 black, i would buy a V1000 but i need abit more space for me modular cables as ive got a Ultra X2 550W PSU

will ocuk be selling the LL V1200?

Last edited:
Soldato
Huh, you've lost me.

The v1200 has less room for a PSU than the v1000+. :confused:

Add me to msn, that PSU would fit in a v1000+ no worries, it WOULD NOT fit in a v1200 I can bet money on it.

Why on earth would you buy a v1200 unless you were running a eATX motherboard. :confused:

Associate
I thought that the v1200 is just an extended version of the v1000, appart fron the depth all the other dimensions remain the same :confused:

Associate
The V1000 should be enough. I have the old Tagan 480W in my V1000 which has a hell of a lot of cables and they fit easily. I got rid of the partition wall and took out one HDD rack as I only have 3 HDDs.

Back
Top Bottom