• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth an update 6800GT @ Ultra to 7800GS SIlent

Associate
At the mo I have a Gainward 6800GT @ Ultra speeds (Golden Sample).
What id like to know is if its worth me selling this and buying a Gainward 7800GS Silent 512mb?

How much of a difference could I expect to see?

Associate
Well, I just upgraded my XFX 6800GT clocked at 400Mhz and 1100Mhz to the gainward 7800GS 512 MB (non-plus version) and I'm loving it so far.... Oblivion is much better at 1280x1024; on average 7-12 fps better outside in the grass (all on full).... with higher res textures etc....

Oh and my processor is a Athlon XP 3000+ clocked at 2100Mhz. For some reason my Battlefield 2 seems to be a bit slower tho (could be drivers)...

Oh, and it overclocks really well, mines running at 498Mhz and 1400Mhz...

Hope this helps....

Associate
OP
When I was looking around I saw that the 7800 version has far better options that the 6800 series simply doesnt have. While the frame rate might not be a big increase, im sure you can turn up the other effects instead?

Associate
Well in oblivion 7-12 FPS increase is a big thing, especially when you consider the low fps it has to begin with. In heavily grassed/flowered/treed areas I could get as low as 9fps at times, now that same area is around 16ish. Makes a big difference. Also I can now run in with 8x Anisotropic Filtering on, Self Shadows on, Shadow filtering high, object distance Max etc. So, better frame rate + more eye candy on.... + having that extra texture memory has meant I can have every texture pack installed which does make a difference visually as well (longer loading times tho!).

In addition Farcry with HDR seems completely smooth now on most levels (was a bit jerky at times).

Anyway, Despite costing 250 quid and seeing as I only bought the GT 7 months ago I am very happy.

Just make sure you got a good PSU.... mines a Q-TEC and erm, occasionally it powers my machine off now playing Oblivion.....

Associate
Alexrose1uk said:
errrr...*Shannow's machine blows up as Q-Tec finally dies*

Dear god...I'd recommend you change that asap before it dies...catastrophically.

When i worked in technical services at the local hospital, some one brought in a Q-tec psu and he said it fried his mobo and asked if i could repair the Q-tec psu as it was exspensive and the shop where he bought it from highly recomend it saying it was one of the best psu's around lol.

Soldato
qtecgrenades6zn8cp.jpg

Associate
OP
I only have the decent Tagan 480W which works perfectly for me and is very much recommended. If someone "recommends" something in a shop, I wouldnt bother listening to them, as they probably sell the rubbish stock to people that dont know better.

Anyways, im tempted to go for that Gainward card, especially with the price falling twice in the last week

Soldato
Hi danceMB,

I reckon you just go for it! I think you'll be just fine with the Tagan. My mate had that same supply and it worked perfectly with his 6800 ultra. He had to change it when he got an x1900xtx but as the newer nvidia cards use less juice than the equivalent ati's your psu should cope very well! :cool:

If you think you'll get a decent performance hike and like the price then i'm sure you'll be a happy camper no matter what! ;)

gt_junkie

Associate
OP
As long as I can find a home for my Gainward 6800GT first, then there wont be a problem, card should then last me until next year which is all im asking of my current rig that is starting to creak now, you know what its like lol.

Anyways, not really sure how much of a performance gain I will reach, but people do say there is a lot more flashy effects you can then activate, am I right?

Soldato
danceMB said:
At the mo I have a Gainward 6800GT @ Ultra speeds (Golden Sample).
What id like to know is if its worth me selling this and buying a Gainward 7800GS Silent 512mb?

How much of a difference could I expect to see?

Depends on the rest of your rig, really.
Also how much you sell your 6800GT for.
Generally my recommendation would be to go PCIE if possible.

Associate
OP
I would probably sell for around £130-£135, only because its the Gainward special that lets it run on Ultra settings all the time, so its basically, a 6800 Ultra card.

Back
Top Bottom