Confused - points over Wus

Man of Honour
Confused - points over Wus (F@H)

Folding@Home . . .

I'm a bit confused as why there are some members with hardly any completed WUs but have been scoring high and some with a high rate of completed WUs but have scored very little.

Look at Nobby for example.. he has completed 3553 WUs yet only has a score 36222 .. that only about 10 per completed WU??? :confused:

also BigDom has 7 active processors and I have 14 (albeit 5 of those are only active for 12hours per day) yet he is producing a much higher daily output.

What's the secret?.. I'm assuming this has something to do with the set-up..

Experts please enlighten me. :)

What can i do do get the most from the processor i have?

Last edited:
Associate
Hey mate, this is FAH yah?

All I can think is that some people might be using the -advmethods switch (details in the setup sticky I think), which gives you higher points for some WU's which hit your system harder in terms of memory etc. Other than that it must just be luck of the WU draw.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Admiral Huddy said:
I'm a bit confused as why there are some members with hardly any completed WUs but have been scoring high and some with a high rate of completed WUs but have scored very little.
A big reason for things like averaging 10 points per WU is EUEs. If someone tries to run on an extremely unstable rig they'll quickly find that the simulations will fail in seconds. It'll stop crunching upon failure and download a new one. The cycle continues until somebody discovers it or the machine is turned off.

Soldato
diogenese said:
When F@H started wus were worth from about half a point each to a massive three or four:eek: as time has gone on the points per wu has steadily increased till now that some wus are worth over 1000 points!
Yep dio has it! :cool:

well certainly in the case of Nobby he was one of the original team members (or at least very early on) when WUs were worth a lot less and may also have been doing the old Genome@Home work which were very small WUs

EUE's seem to be a growing problem though - not sure if it's the models getting more demanding or machines getting less stable :o
BillytheImpaler said:
It'll stop crunching upon failure and download a new one. The cycle continues until somebody discovers it or the machine is turned off.
my XP2100 churned out about 20 EUE's in one day last week - when i got onto it and checked the log it was stuck without any work - I guess Stanford are able to stop assigning work to that client using the Machine ID and Machine Number, it's a shame they can't alert you to the situation though :p

Last edited:
Associate
Yay - I've got one of the best averages for points per WU :)
Currently 213785 pts for 895 Wus = 239 pts per WU

That's mostly because I only started after WU's were high pointers, plus I used to get *loads* of QMDs - 450 pts per WU, and 600pointers as well. Sadly these are a thing of history now :(

Kinnison.

Soldato
I have an average of 301 points/WU. It's mostly through getting lots of 364-pointers and Double Gromacs, and QMDs and 600-pointers back in the day! There seems to be a lot more tiddly WUs around now though.

Associate
looking down the ranks a little, I'm sure Haly is prolly over my average as well , 94000 for 424wus.
Maybe we should have a ranking on pts/wu.. At least I'd come in the top ten on something then :D

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
kinnison said:
looking down the ranks a little, I'm sure Haly is prolly over my average as well , 94000 for 424wus.
I used to get a lot of 600 pointers and 450 pointer QMDs :) My p4 had practically nothing but 450pt QMDs for a long while. Built up a lot then :D

Associate
Admiral Huddy said:
also BigDom has 7 active processors and I have 14 (albeit 5 of those are only active for 12hours per day) yet he is producing a much higher daily output.

Actually I have 8 processors, they all run 24/7 but some are gaming rigs too.
This week I've had a dreadfull run of WU's ( witness 4 days of 400 points O.o ) but I suspect my processors may just be higher performance than yours.

2x3800+ at 2.2ghz (4 cores)
1xIntel Dual Core [email protected] (2cores)
2xVenice, 1 running @ 2.6 and the other at 2.4.

All generally with properly setup RAM.

Soldato
one of the reasons that Nobby's done so many units for so little reward is that in the early days of folding the work unists were much smaller and less complex and hence worth less points. Rememebr that processors are much more powerfull now.

HT

Back
Top Bottom