silencing a desktop drive

Suspended
Do hd silencers work? I would like to get laptop levels of noise from a desktop drive. Seed isn't important (shame 5400rpm 3.5" are no more) but would like high capacity and quiet noise levels.

ta

Soldato
The full enclosure ones do exactly what they say on the tin - you can lop 90% of the noise off with something like this:

SilentDrive
silentdrive-01.jpg

and

Silentmaxx
index_120.jpg

The suspention method works reasonably well, but is not as comprehensive as it only cuts down on the case vibration, not the head (clicking) noises.

I have one of each of the picks above and they're both great - they both silence and cool - but bear in mind they are only rated to 10k and even then I'd be reluctant to put a Raptor in the Silent Drive.

Associate
A suspended samsung spinpoint is as quiet as some laptop drives. The problem with most of the enclosures is that you risk overheating the drive.

Maybe a daft question - but why not just buy a sata laptop drive?

Suspended
OP
thanks, quite expensive. :( at around 30 quid. As for why not get a laptop drive, can you even get 250 or 320 gb? And under a ton? I need near silence plus high capacity.

Soldato
In that case - Tha Samsungs are for you - you can get mounts from the shop like these

OcUKHHDmounts.jpg

Between them and the Spinpoint it will be whisper quiet :p

(Though I picked up 2 of those SilentDrives 2nd hand for about £15 - well worth it, and they do a reasonable job of cooling as well as quietening)

Back
Top Bottom