Why does my engine sound like a lawnmower?

Associate
I'm getting that sound like a lawnmower or a really old car when accelerating - its fine at a constant speed. It seems to have started happening after the clutch was changed - is there anything I can do about it? Sorry to be so vague...

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
You say you have had a recent clutch change. Did they replace the thrust bearing.
Put your hand on top of your gear stick as you accelerate and feel for a slight rattle that goes with the noise.

Or Exhaust, Put foot over tailpipe. Car should splutter and muffle right down.
Or pipe off airbox Lift bonnet look.
Or No Oil. Check level.

Also check the shroud around the gearstick assembly. Make sure it has been refitted properly.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, I'll have a look. The exaust is new and the noise definitely is from the engine.

Crappy 406 1.8 btw.

Man of Honour
Wryel said:
Thanks guys, I'll have a look. The exaust is new and the noise definitely is from the engine.

Crappy 406 1.8 btw.

See that shouldn't sound lawnmower like - I thought it was a 1.2 Corsa or something.

Soldato
Wryel said:

Crappy 406 1.8 btw.

aww, i associate lawnmower sounds with 1-1.2 litre engine cars. would have suggested you check to see if you had a bee or small rodent under your bonnet...

check to see if the air intake is clear and nothing lodged in it. who did the clutch change?

Associate
Have you checked you spark plug and HD leads. It could be that the car is only firing on three cyclinders. I am having a problem with my car thats sound sort of the same but mine turned out to be my head gasket :mad: i did all the trouble shooting first thou. I would check the sparks,hd leads there cheap to replace and really need to be done every once in a while so its a good place to start. Good luck

Associate
OP
Duggan said:
Have you checked you spark plug and HD leads. It could be that the car is only firing on three cyclinders. I am having a problem with my car thats sound sort of the same but mine turned out to be my head gasket :mad: i did all the trouble shooting first thou. I would check the sparks,hd leads there cheap to replace and really need to be done every once in a while so its a good place to start. Good luck

Was thinking of doing this actually, could I get the timing done quite cheaply as well?

For your referrence, it sounds like a petrol mower crossed with a little bit of farting.

Associate
OP
malc30 said:
You say you have had a recent clutch change. Did they replace the thrust bearing.
Put your hand on top of your gear stick as you accelerate and feel for a slight rattle that goes with the noise.

Or Exhaust, Put foot over tailpipe. Car should splutter and muffle right down.
Or pipe off airbox Lift bonnet look.
Or No Oil. Check level.

Also check the shroud around the gearstick assembly. Make sure it has been refitted properly.

Ok, no idea about the thrust bearing, what does it do?
- No vibration through the stick, a little stiff going into first sometimes.
- I'll check the air intakes
- Lots of oil - I'm in the habit of checking it all the time after having a Golf TD that drank the stuff for breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom