Exchange 2003 relay question

Soldato
We have an exchange 2003 server.

It will quite happily relay smtp for it own subnet. We also have a machine on a DMZ that we need to allow to relay via our exchange server.

I have added its subnet 10.0.2.0/255.255.255.0 to the relay 'allow the list below' in the virtual smtp server settings but still it won't relay out. It will accept local addresses [email protected] but not outside addresses '[email protected]' for example.

I have restarted exchange.

'Spoofing' smtp using telnet to port 25 produces the 'cannot relay' type errors.

Any ideas please !

Associate
Where exactly did you add the subnet?

Within ESM -> Administrative Groups -> "Domain" -> "Server" -> SMTP -> Default SMTP Virtual Server

Access tab

Then relay restrictions or connection control?

From your wording, I am guessing you have gone into connection control and added the subnet in there when you should be adding it to relay restrictions using "only the list below" with a status of granted of course.

I would also suggest using a single IP rather than a subnet especially if the source is your DMZ.

Permabanned
Hodders said:
Sending anonymously....

I can (from a dos prompt) on the dmz spoof email via telnet to port 25 to any internal address - it's just the external ones that fail.... grrrr
ill do it tonight ill do a tut, plus you need u unblacklist.

Soldato
OP
^^Gord^^ said:
Where exactly did you add the subnet?

Within ESM -> Administrative Groups -> "Domain" -> "Server" -> SMTP -> Default SMTP Virtual Server

Access tab

Then relay restrictions or connection control?

From your wording, I am guessing you have gone into connection control and added the subnet in there when you should be adding it to relay restrictions using "only the list below" with a status of granted of course.

I would also suggest using a single IP rather than a subnet especially if the source is your DMZ.

I did it via the 'relay' settings. Daft thing is I've mad the same changes to another exchange server and it works fine !

Thanks for your help though !

Associate
That is odd. Do you have any anti-spam or anti-virus checking on SMTP that may be causing you problems?

If you telnet on port 25 the header should tell you what program is responding.

Back
Top Bottom