Server 2003 and shares...

Associate
OK ive made a share on my server called 'Shared'

I have added 'Guests' and given them full permissions

When i try and access the 'Server' through one of the PC's on the network it asks for a username and password...

How can i stop this happening?

Associate
Where did you add guests? Into the Shared permission I'm assuming? If you did remember to check the NTFS permissions on the folder or folders you are sharing.

I am guessing you are getting past the Share permission but the file level NTFS is not allowing you access.

@Otacon, guests is a local group on the server.

EDIT: Come to think of it, anonymous logon would be a better choice if you really want it fully open.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
OK, just created a user on the server calles 'Sales'

I then gave 'Sales' full permission for the 'Shared' folder including NTFS permisiions

Went onto the PC on the network and created a 'Sales' username with the same password...

It STILL pops up the username and password box when i try and access the server :(

Associate
Kanye said:
OK, just created a user on the server calles 'Sales'

I then gave 'Sales' full permission for the 'Shared' folder including NTFS permisiions

Went onto the PC on the network and created a 'Sales' username with the same password...

It STILL pops up the username and password box when i try and access the server :(

Ok, when you say created the user sales do you mean in the domain or locally on the server?

Either way when you created the sales on the PC although this has the same name it is a different user.

I think we are getting a little side tracked. What are you trying to achieve?

You want a folder on a server than anyone can access without entering a username / pass. What I need to know is are these users using a PC within the same domain and are they signing on as a domain user or a local user?

Associate
OP
No, there not using a domain... they have there own usernames and passwords and just use the workgroup 'MSHOME'

And yes Gord, that is what im trying to achive :)

Should i set up active directory ? :o

Associate
Whilst there are lots of advantages in having an AD at the moment it sounds like you don't need it (yet).

To get a folder that anyone can access create a share and set the share and NTFS permissions to allow "anonymous logon" to have full control.

This should then allow absolutely anyone on your local network to connect to that share without username and password. Of course this is a security risk but this may not be of concern to you at this time.

If you want to have a secure setup that doesn't prompt for user / pass you will need to look at moving to AD.

Associate
OP
^^Gord^^ said:
Whilst there are lots of advantages in having an AD at the moment it sounds like you don't need it (yet).

To get a folder that anyone can access create a share and set the share and NTFS permissions to allow "anonymous logon" to have full control.

This should then allow absolutely anyone on your local network to connect to that share without username and password. Of course this is a security risk but this may not be of concern to you at this time.

If you want to have a secure setup that doesn't prompt for user / pass you will need to look at moving to AD.

I have tried doing what you say but it still asks for a username and password? :confused: :confused:

Strange :(

Associate
Ok, this is because of the default (secure) permissions in Windows 2003 Server.

You will need to change two settings in the Local Security Policy. If you go Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy.

Expand Local Policies

Click on Security Options.

Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only <-- set this to disabled.

Network access: Let everyone permissions apply to anonymous users <--- set this to enabled.

Then go Start -> Run -> cmd

gpupdate /force

And try the share again.

Soldato
^^Gord^^ said:
Ok, this is because of the default (secure) permissions in Windows 2003 Server.

You will need to change two settings in the Local Security Policy. If you go Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy.

Expand Local Policies

Click on Security Options.

Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only <-- set this to disabled.

Network access: Let everyone permissions apply to anonymous users <--- set this to enabled.

Then go Start -> Run -> cmd

gpupdate /force

And try the share again.

That's extremley bad practice :( IMHO, there's no point in purchasing Windows Server 2003 and not running it with some kind if server role- for what you're doing now it would have been much cheaper to stick XP Pro on it. I also disagree with what ^^Gord^^ is saying about you not needing AD yet- it will be much easier to manage the user accounts centrally, they would bbe able to log on to multiple machines and get the same profile etc, the possibilities are endless. Just go for it and install AD :)

Associate
It is indeed bad practice and AD would provide a better overall solution but I suggested not going AD as it sounds like they aren't in a position to support AD at the moment (hope that isn't taken as a dig).

Whilst AD does a very good job of taking care of itself it will need someone to keep an eye on it and do basic admin tasks. I could see more problems being caused by AD than solved if the person taking care of it doesn't have the correct skills set.

If you put a quick fix in for this now and when Kanye (or whoever) has trained up on AD then by all means go for it.

Back
Top Bottom