double lottery winners?

Associate
just going through a bit of a moral boosting exercise at work (dont ask) and whacked a few quid on tonights lottery with a mate from the office.

after a few laughs etc getting in the spirit I pondered on a thought.

has any one person ever won the national lottery jackpot more than once?

p.s. if I win tonight I may not come back for some time! :)

Associate
If I remember someone once brough the same line of numbers twice because they forgot they had already payed for a ticket. They won so actually won twice at exactly the same time.

Associate
OP
hmm, suppose if they were the only winner it wouldnt make any difference, if there was 4-5 winning tickets obviously the share was higher.

any others know?

Associate
I cant see there being many...mainly because if you had a small fortune (or a large one) then why would you be buying lottery tickets?
You'd have to be some hardcore gambling addict or something :p

Caporegime
Pyrosoft said:
I cant see there being many...mainly because if you had a small fortune (or a large one) then why would you be buying lottery tickets?

I remember reading in Q magazine about one of the members of Queen buying lottery tickets.

Soldato
Couple of stories off Google from around the world

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2002/12/12/MN159178.DTL
What happened was that they won the jackpot -- not once, but twice, on the same day. An hour after winning $126,000 in the Fantasy Five game, they won $17 million in SuperLotto Plus.
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Savinganddebt/Savemoney/P99649.asp

"Winning the lottery isn't always what it's cracked up to be," says Evelyn Adams, who won the New Jersey lottery not just once, but twice (1985, 1986), to the tune of $5.4 million. Today the money is all gone and Adams lives in a trailer.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache...uble+lottery+winners&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=3

A 70-year-old Taree grandfather who had already won $1 million in Lotto was one of three winners sharing in the game’s First Division prize of $500,000 last night.

Don't think there's any in the UK so far though, certainly not reported anyhow :)

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Pyrosoft said:
Maybe because however much money you have, short of Gatesian-type fortunes, there's always a list of things you can't do. It's just the contents of the list that changes. Nearly everybody adopts a lifestyle that suits their means, and even lottery winners have constraints. They may be constraints that seem very far off to those with average incomes, but they become attainable, or almost attainable, after a lottery win.

Sure, expecting to win twice is greedy, but having won once, winning again is actually no more unlikely than winning the first time was, and a few quid on tickets is certainly far more easily affordable. It's a long shot, but it's a shot with a trivial cost, so why not?

Soldato
there was a guy in the U K (a binman IIRC) who was in a syndicate and it was his job to put the numbers on,he liked the look of his mates numbers and so put those on a seperate ticket for himself, the numbers came up and he won two shares of the jackpot (a half and a twelth)

Associate
OP
Bill101 said:
there was a guy in the U K (a binman IIRC) who was in a syndicate and it was his job to put the numbers on,he liked the look of his mates numbers and so put those on a seperate ticket for himself, the numbers came up and he won two shares of the jackpot (a half and a twelth)

how very odd to "like the look" of someone elses numbers! :)
maybe they sang to him, or shone in a jebus type way.

lucky dips for our mini lotto club we started. have to buy 5quids worth if you do it online though. 5x lucky dip for tonight. cant remember ever buying myself a lottery ticket actually!

Soldato
titchard said:
Wonder what the odds are?

it's like 1 in 49 x 1 in 48 x 1 in 47 x 1 in 46 x 1 in 45 x 1 in 44

TIMES 2!

Gah!

Rich

Completely miles off i'm afriad. It's actually

Code:
[U]    49!     [/U]
 6!*(49-6)!
and then all squared, which is roughly equal to 1 in 196,000,000. Or in other words, it's never going to happen!

[smug/geek mode off]

Back
Top Bottom