EVE online Money and Ebay

Soldato
1st of all if this isnt allowed as i am talking about Ebay, can the dons just delete this thread thanks.

right had a look on Ebay today as bored and there are EVE online accounts going for anything from £300 up to £900.

What and why is this. I did a quick google and all it seems is a space PC game ?

Why so much money involved, seems strange to me you can sell your account for so much money. Why is that ?

perhaps i should sell my BF2 rank lol

Just would appreciate some knowledge on this

Soldato
Most likely because EvE online require's a LOT of time to master and skill up. Unlike WoW where you can pretty much level a profession in a day or two, EvE requires you to 'learn' skills that allow you to progress through the game and fly bigger ships and fire better weapons.

That's pretty much why I think.

JC

JC

Soldato
Atari said:
Most likely because EvE online require's a LOT of time to master and skill up. Unlike WoW where you can pretty much level a profession in a day or two, EvE requires you to 'learn' skills that allow you to progress through the game and fly bigger ships and fire better weapons.

That's pretty much why I think.

The selling of accounts or characters for real life currency breaks the Eve Online EULA. This means that the accounts in question can be banned.

The reason that people sell/buy accounts is because high skilled characters take real life time to create and no ammount of playing or grinding will increase those skills. This means that a 3 yr old character for example is perceived to be of high real currency value.

Associate
High skill accounts go for a lot of money, because it's time based, rather than skill based - so the no. of skill points if based on how long the account has been active, very little else.

However, be very careful going this route. There are a lot of scammers and fradsters on there for EVE online stuff.

I sold a lot of money and attempted to sell my account - made about £400 in total, about 50% of which was charged back to me from stolen credit cards/ebay accounts/etc.

My eve account was banned 2 hours before the auction ended, and that was a nightmare to sort out.

Caveat Emptor!

Soldato
OP
so if your correct in the EULA, these people that are bidding and buying between £300 - £900 on the Bay, could in fact buy this item only to have it deleted/ cancelled by the EVE online company for the original user selling it ?

christ you would be somewhat p'd then!

Soldato
There is a large trade in MMO accounts and virtual goods.

Eve is especially long winded as you cant short cut the training system its just about time.

Personally i consider it cheating. I quit my guild in wow when i found out that a lad im our guild bought his epic mount and that crafted MC rifle that looks like a ghostbusters gun with "bought" gold. The sickening thing was the same person complained all the time about farmers, where did he think he was buyng his gold from? and when i was told to "buy some gold if you want something" i decided to call it a day again.

Ive heard of americas army high honor accounts being sold, SWG high level Jedis were worth a huge amount of money when they were rare before sony killed the game.

Whats the point in playing a game if you havent done the work?

Soldato
I disagree. Yes you might get more personal satisfaction out of knowing you didnt use bought gold, but i wouldnt leave a guild just because someone used real cash. Pay £15 for 300g and work an overtime shift for £300 or grind for 24 hours mmmm...

In wow endgame, gold is pointless anyway, its all guilds and boe items.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have to say that I think the idea of paying money for an account is always fairly silly. The best bit of most games is doing the work! If you just get gold in WoW or just get every skill in Eve then there's nothing to choose, nothing to progress through, and I imagine you'd get tired of the game much more quickly than if you play "properly".

Soldato
I only started Eve today and I have to say I can see why some people would want to buy accounts or ISK.

It has to be the most complex game I have ever played. In fact calling it a game does it a huge injustice really. It already comes across as more of a "life" simulator in fact!

It's pretty obvious that it takes a huge amount of time to accrue money/ skills and that inevitably means that many will want to buy a shortcut.

While I don't think it is cheating as such I certainly think it goes against the spirit of a game like this.

Associate
TBH a friend of mine put it like this, you sell say an eve account for 500 quid and its over a year old or something with all the skills.

now had you actually WORKED in a job for the same amount of time it kinda puts it into perspective and thus relatively pointless in selling it.

thus i would never sell an account of mine because u just wouldn't get a just amount for it.

p.s - whats the big thing these days on these boards comparing WoW and EvE, they have nothing in common apart from both being online games.

Soldato
The moneys not the issue

If you think about it the hourly rate for most of these things it is pretty low.
a powerleveled 60 in wow sells for what about £200 and thats what say 6-7 days played? even if its claimed 3 days thats still less than £3 hr (why do you think all the farmers are from "poorer" countries)

Eve stuff sells for more but takes longer.

The problem is it leads to "all the gear but no idea" players and other gameplay problems, Do you want to be running MC with a guy who has played the game for 25 mins? How many people have been slaughtered by the opposing faction while the farmers watch you die?

Cheating
Not in the spirit of the game

Whatever you call it its not right and ruins the game. "doing the time" is what makes MMO's and yes some of it is boring but making it to the high levels is the reward.

Soldato
Its extremely dodgy to buying these accounts, as i understand it the original owner can demand the account back at any time. This happened to somebody in my corp, after a month of trying he managed to get the character back but *only* because he could prove that he actually brought it 2 months before they brought in the new rules, he had had this account for several years when the original owner brought it into repute and had trained the character on considerably since the original owner had sold it to him.

As for buying isk.. you see the effect ingame with miners. If they would just sort out the problem of isk farming in game with one of the many suggestions within the eve community then we could sort it out ourselves. Right now we're ruduced to bumping them away from there cargo containers and generally being annoying until the go somewhere else.

Associate
peige said:
Right now we're ruduced to bumping them away from there cargo containers and generally being annoying until the go somewhere else.

And Clone dropping.

Go to their can, dump one of your own, move their ore into your can. they open your can, take their ore. The game flags them as a thief and you blow them up.

Associate
Pound_Coin said:
Go to their can, dump one of your own, move their ore into your can. they open your can, take their ore. The game flags them as a thief and you blow them up.
That's very cheeky! I love it!
edit: why doesn't that also mark you as a thief.

Back
Top Bottom