Deep vein thrombosis

Soldato
Just a warning really for those of you spending hours at your PC playing BF2, WoW etc..

Back in January I collapsed on my work to work clutching my chest, I couldn't breathe properly and felt like I was having a heart attack. I was also limping, which at the time I assumed was cramp... Anyway, ended up in hospital for a week, and now luckily back at work and a normal life ( however I'm on meds for 6 months = no booze :( ).

What I had was DVT - yep the same thing that people get from airplane journeys - this occurs by not moving around enough, particularly if you're sat at a PC for a long period of time. It's pretty life threatening and can affect young people as well as old.

So my advice is, get out and about every day and make sure you take regular breaks from your PC!

Anyone else had DVT?

Soldato
wow...surely there was an underlining problem to this, improper seating position, lack of proper diet. never heard of a case where people had it from sitting at a desk for long periods. you must have put in some serious hours doing that.

ive done a few cross atlantic flight and never had any problems, so no.

Associate
I've had two blood clots, one in my stomach which cut off the blood to my left leg (turned blue, was swollen and hurt like hell), and one in my... crotch :rolleyes: area which did the same, but to the other leg. Im on blood thinners for life so it doesnt happen again.

Those things are nasty, if a clot moves to your brain, you can have a stroke/die, so ya gotta be careful.

Associate
Insanity said:
I've had two blood clots, one in my stomach which cut off the blood to my left leg (turned blue, was swollen and hurt like hell), and one in my... crotch :rolleyes: area which did the same, but to the other leg. Im on blood thinners for life so it doesnt happen again.

Those things are nasty, if a clot moves to your brain, you can have a stroke/die, so ya gotta be careful.

was this also from not moving about enough ?

Soldato
Phantom said:
you must have put in some serious hours doing that.
Yeah, how long were you sitting in front of your computer?

I'm not usually on more than an hour before I get up, even if it's just for a drink or something.

Soldato
OP
Yup it's very deadly, I was lucky in a sense as it only hit my lungs

Just wanted to remind people that you need to keep active, its too easy to get engrossed in some games particularly stuff like World of warcraft, where raids sometimes go on for hours.

Also some people are much more likely to develop them due to lifestyle factors, like diet etc, but also there is a blood condition that makes you very likely to get it.

Soldato
OP
I normally move around when I sit at a PC - at work and home I generally take breaks every 1/2 hour to 1 hour, but I think because I injured my leg over new years I was trying not to move around much at all.

pax

pax

Associate
My mother has been diagnosed with this, which is lucky as she is coming over here from AU within the month and she'll be able to travel after being on aspirin for a few weeks. If she got it during the flight, things would be much worse.

I saw an article on one of the news sites today about a guy who had the same problem as the OP as he worked at this computer 8hrs a day and was only found by his partner when she came home slumped on his keyboard.

Scary stuff,

Pax

Associate
tedaC said:
was this also from not moving about enough ?
Yes and no.

Im missing one of the main arteries that comes from my heart and pumps blood to the lower half of my body (legs etc... *ahem*) and because thats missing, my body had to make its own little system and its not all that great, its kinda like trying to shove wet cement thru a straw. But the not moving around much didnt help.

So far i've spent about a month total in hospital because of clots.

Soldato
Aye its really nasty. We had a guy at work who got it on a plane back from France! :eek:

Some people are more susceptable than others.

Glad you're ok though! :)

Soldato
caff said:
Just a warning really for those of you spending hours at your PC playing BF2, WoW etc..

Back in January I collapsed on my work to work clutching my chest, I couldn't breathe properly and felt like I was having a heart attack. I was also limping, which at the time I assumed was cramp... Anyway, ended up in hospital for a week, and now luckily back at work and a normal life ( however I'm on meds for 6 months = no booze :( ).

What I had was DVT - yep the same thing that people get from airplane journeys - this occurs by not moving around enough, particularly if you're sat at a PC for a long period of time. It's pretty life threatening and can affect young people as well as old.

So my advice is, get out and about every day and make sure you take regular breaks from your PC!

Anyone else had DVT?

I get bad cramp and spend way to much time at the pc I dont hav DVT do I :eek:

Man of Honour
I'm quite worried about it with all the travelling I do and the time I spend in a plane. So I always make sure I get up to stretch my legs, and generally strech and move around in my seat a little to keep the blood moving. I'm a very active person normally with work too, and in my spare time so I think I'm pretty covered... I guess I'm quite paranoid about it as it's quite common.

Caporegime
Freefaller said:
I'm quite worried about it with all the travelling I do and the time I spend in a plane. So I always make sure I get up to stretch my legs, and generally strech and move around in my seat a little to keep the blood moving. I'm a very active person normally with work too, and in my spare time so I think I'm pretty covered... I guess I'm quite paranoid about it as it's quite common.

Low dose aspirin every day for a week before is what I do for flying to New Zealand, well when I remember which isn't very often :)

It sounds very much like Caff has a clotting predisposition to throw off clots like that, throwing up a PE is pretty damn life threatening.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Rich1988 said:
I get bad cramp and spend way to much time at the pc I dont hav DVT do I :eek:

I'm not sure anyone can answer that without straying to close to giving medical advice.

Insanity said:
Yes and no.

Im missing one of the main arteries that comes from my heart and pumps blood to the lower half of my body (legs etc... *ahem*) and because thats missing, my body had to make its own little system and its not all that great, its kinda like trying to shove wet cement thru a straw. But the not moving around much didnt help.

So far i've spent about a month total in hospital because of clots.

What artery are you missing :eek: You can't be missing an abdominal aorta(impressive as that would be) :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
Insanity said:
Drinking thickens your blood, so does smoking for that matter, so i dont see how that works for you.

AFAIK alcohol thins your blood, 1 glass of red wine a night is supposed to be good for you for that very reason. Obviously they really mean 1 bottle though :confused: :D

Back
Top Bottom