• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which CPU with X1800XT?

Associate
some advice required please.

i had just bought a 6800GT second hand, and that has vanished in the post :(
so, i am very fed up, and considering the move to PCIE now!

i like the look of the X1800XT for the money (256 meg version)
now, i need a new board and CPU. Boardwise, i think i will be ok picking one, but not sure what CPU to get to cover me for the next 6-12 months.

i currently use an XP2500 at 3200 speeds, that is what i am used to.

I will only play games at 1280 res for the time being (native res), so do not require top of the range processing, i hope.

therefore, i need a CPU that won't hold the graphics back, but won't need it to last the next 2 years :)

what do you suggest?

cheers

Paul

Associate
OP
MeatLoaf said:
How about an X2 3800+ and then clock it?

im mainly using the pc for games, will the X2 be overkill?

was tempted by a cheap 3200, or maybe a 3700. i just do not want to too much money for my purpose/resolution

Caporegime
MeatLoaf said:
If its for games then deffo go for the X2 as im sure that a lot of new games will have dual core support.

Currently the benefit of dual core in terms of games is almost non-existant in a non-SLI setup, which is a bit disappointing, a fast single core CPU will last a fair while yet.

Associate
OP
Minstadave said:
Currently the benefit of dual core in terms of games is almost non-existant in a non-SLI setup, which is a bit disappointing, a fast single core CPU will last a fair while yet.

this was my guess, i'm not looking too long term
its just with my bad luck getting another 6800GT, i figured i would move pcie and flog my old kit

unless someone said i could buy a 6800gt from them without using the postal service!!!

my experience over time has been the GPU providing more help than the cpu for my resolution, so was looking for best bang for the buck for my needs

Soldato
I havent actually built the pc in my sig yet, but have most the parts in my room. Building next week.

I only have AMD Athlon 1ghz, 512mb SD Ram, gforce4 mx 440 ect atm but diddnt want to spend loads on a new pc beause of directx10 and conroe etc coming pretty soon.

I think the amd64 3200+ venice will be great up untill then :)

Associate
i would be interested to see that as i am thinking of trading my 7800gt for one of those, hoping to break the 10k barrier in 3d05!

Soldato
A2Z said:
i should be getting a x1800xt 512mb soon, will see how it is with my winnie 3000 @ 2.6ghz

I bought an X1800XT a couple weeks back to go with my [email protected]. At stock speeds it scores around 9500 in 3D mark 05, if I clock it up slightly to PE speeds it can easily get 10k!

As your CPU is clocked fairly high, it shouldn't be a bottleneck for the X1800 and you should be able to get decent scores as well:)

Associate
I have a 6800gt - Which I brought from here, I am buying a new system so if you still want or need the 6800gt, let me know (for sirp).

I am looking to build a system that will run Half Life 2/ Fear at full resolution, and a system that will support DX10 cards, what would be my best upgrade options, my current system specs are below -

Inten Pentium 2.8ghz Hyper Threading
Motherboard - Trigem Computer NETHERLANDS advent series - ISA AGP PCI 1MB USB Firewire
1GB DDR - SDRAM --- 2X 133 MHZ (266MHZ data rate)
Nvidea Geforce 6800 GT
DVD 6x
CD 52x
80 Gb Hardrive -- NTFS
G media AC97 Audi Device

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom