Removing bird poop leftovers

Man of Honour
I had the car washed today and noticed that where there had been some bird crap for a few days, there was what I can only describe as a rough patch. I'm not sure if the rough patch is some left over bird poop which is really hard to get off, or if the bird poop has actually eaten into the lacquer, it's hard to tell.

Either way how do I get rid of these patches? I was thinking a polish would do the job but I don't want to get something which may potentiall maye it worse. The rest of the paintwork looks great.

Ta :)

Soldato
Scuzi said:
I've never tried a clay bar. Do Halfords sell them? I'll have a crack at it next week.

Yup sure do, comes with the spray too
I thought i had a really bad stain in my paint, and it wouldnt wash off or polish or anything, used the clay bar and it went... I was chuffed :D:D

Soldato
MuvverRussia said:
claybar and a polish. Followed by wax. And in future try to get bird crap off asap as its acidic and will trash the paint.
Indeed, if the bird didn't want it then you certainly don't! :)

Man of Honour
the clay bar will take out flys, or pretty much anything bonded onto your paint with ease. Stuff like tar spots take a little bit of work, but not much really.

The stuff that comes with the bar is quick detailer. Great stuff if you just want to clean stuff off - just use it with a cleaning cloth and you can take most stuff off, just be carefull about scratching the paint work with any bits on it

Soldato
-westy- said:
is it a good idea to go over an entire car with a clay bar? because i want to give my new car a good clean when i get it.
Good question, my car is plagued with tiny tar spots and I'm split between going at it with Super Resin Polish or a clay bar :confused:

Man of Honour
totally mate, will take off all the rubish on the paint work and leave it feeling like glass :) makes a huge difference! removed stuff you can't even see leaving the paintwork to really gleam.

Be mindful of any damaged areas and follow the instructions that come with it and it should turn out find :)

Soldato
Siliconslave said:
totally mate, will take off all the rubish on the paint work and leave it feeling like glass :) makes a huge difference! removed stuff you can't even see leaving the paintwork to really gleam.

Be mindful of any damaged areas and follow the instructions that come with it and it should turn out find :)
So do you just clean, clay bar then wax? or do you polish after the clay bar then wax on top of that?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I find the whole car cleaning game a bit confusing with the 1000000 different products available :p

Man of Honour
the claybar will take any wax you have on it off, so you need to give it a layer of wax to protect it.

and you don't want to polish too often as it abrasivly removes layers from the paintwork to give it a deeper shine and remove swirl marks. The clay will lift off the rubish, but won't effect the paintwork

Soldato
Siliconslave said:
the claybar will take any wax you have on it off, so you need to give it a layer of wax to protect it.
Cool, thanks for the info.

So, just to confirm, would you recommend a clay bar over a session with some super resin polish for getting rid of tar spots on otherwise pretty good nick paint?

EDIT- sorry posted pre edit :p

Thats ok then. Currently I only polish my car once a year and then just layer up the wax in between.

Man of Honour
yer, the clay bar will take off surface contaminates like tar etc without effecting the paint underneath. Think its actually advisable to use over polish to get rid of surface stuff. The polish should be used to spruce up the paintwork if its swirled or faided

Man of Honour
OP
There's some really good advice in this thread, thanks guys :cool:
I'll be spending a whole day on the car in a couple of weeks when I'm on my fortnight holiday back in Ireland. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom