Replacing my Ipod mini, but with what ?

Soldato
Well it seems my Ipod mini decided that it no longer wants to work, have done all the updates, it will charge and run on my PC, but will only hold it's battery charge for an hour at most :(

When I bought it I put 3 years extra cover on it (I work in one of the big retails stores, and this and my laptop are the only 2 things I've covered) Mainly because I use it a lot, and secondly because if I drop either one thats a nice excess on my house hold insurance. Not to mention a premium increase.

Anyway our selction at work is very limited, given that when I bought the mini I paid £169 for it, well £161 by the time I had my staff discount. There are two players I'm looking at in the same price brackett I don't want and can't afford to go over this at the moment, but as I say they are as follows

1) Archos XS202S

2) Sony NWA3000 Silver 20Gb

have heard mixed views about both of these, but basically since getting the Ipod, my music collection has grown somewhat and so finding that 4 gig was very restricted.

Main uses really are listening to music when on breaks at work, when going out for a walk, and when doing things homw here in general. The player I'd really like though is something but Iriver but the company I work for don't stock these, shame on them for that, as I get loads of people asking for them.

Annyway any help on the above would be much appreciated.

Soldato
buy the archos

cheap, takes a beating, plays all types of files, tiny, plug and play hard drive, doesnt scratch

i couldnt be happier with mine

if you want real life pics posted and a more in depth review just shout

Soldato
OP
da_mic_1530 said:
buy the archos

cheap, takes a beating, plays all types of files, tiny, plug and play hard drive, doesnt scratch

i couldnt be happier with mine

if you want real life pics posted and a more in depth review just shout

Wouldn't mind mate if it's not too much trouble. have been reading rweviews of them and they do come out rather favorably.

Saw a reviews of the Sony one, and am now thinking twice about it.

Soldato
right firstly imo its an ugly thing but its cheap so i dont mind

the whole thing is about as large as the palm of my hand, its fits snugly into it.

There are 3 buttons, the left one is used to stop play, and holding it down turns it off

the middle button is a joystick, easy to use , its used to navigate, doesnt feel like it will break, click down to make a selection

the right button is the option button, use it for play modes, further browsing and options. Hold it down to lock the player

The screen is slightly larger than a motorola v3 colour display, although it isnt colour, a green backlight provides light. Contrast is good, you can always see it clearly in brightsunlight.

Navigation is the systems weak point, it scrolls slowly but not badly, but one thing i must say is that say if you want to skip foward a track, its not instant, sometimes its instant, but it can take up to 1 second. Actual menu browsing is quick and easy once you get the hang off it. THough trawling throough 20GB of music isnt as good as an ipod

the player is friggin tiny, honest it must be the smallest 20gb player ever, fits into pocket easily.

Acts as a usb hard drive, and charges through a wall socket, not through USB power which is a shame, no drivers are needed though.

Sound quality is good, and if you bump the custom EQ up all the way its very loud without distorsion. So every1 can hear it on the bus.

2 ways of browsing music. the usual way of ipod style, or you can browse file structure, i have a file of favourites that i can quickly access

for a 20 gb player that can be had for as little as £120 you can go wrong, and wouldnt swap it for anything...well the colour one comes out soon

PICTURES AND FURTHER THOUGHTS TO FOLLOW

Soldato
right i made a quick little video of the basic use of the device

uploading now

1st bit turning it on,, and using the navigation to select music old style ( most of the music on their is carp, avril leveign or whatever she is called for e.g)

then its the file structure based playing, which i prefer,

then skipping tracks and the slowdown

then the options button

and finally shutting down

im aware there are clicks in the vid, i have no idea where they came from

anymore help just gimmie a shout

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom