Your opinions on the Nokia E70?

Soldato
I've used one and I've really grown to love it.

My first impressions were that it's a bit on the bulky side and it's not much of a looker. However, it's a very practical phone and makes most tasks simple. The keyboard reminds me of the HTC Universal, but the ergonomics of holding it are much better for thumb typing. The learning curve for using the keyboard is short - within a day I was motoring through long e-mails without even thinking. The fact that it has a space and shift key on either side of the keyboard helps too.

The screen on the phone is gorgeous (416x352 pixels, 262k colours) and Nokia's new web-browser really looks good in landscape mode. WiFi is really simple to set-up too.

The camera is more than acceptable and video recording isn't too bad either. It's good to see Nokia using miniSD since they're cheap and available everywhere.

And yes, it has predictive text for when the flip is closed.

The only thing you might miss from your 9300 is the physical size of the screen.

Associate
Anyone know an approximate release date for this phone? I'm about to spring for an N80 but might wait for this. I've scoured Google, but to no avail.

Why does there seem to be so little excitement about the E70? Seems perfect to me, barring the dodgy looks. Faster processor than the N80, more RAM, landscape browsing, QWERTY keyboard, but pocket-sized... what more could you want? LOL, maybe I'm missing something.

Soldato
OP
Yeah it does look like a nice phone, but I will give u 100 quid if you can find out when this thing is gonna be released lol. It was supposed to be 1st quater of 2006 but thats obviously been and gone. I went into a Carphone Warehouse in town and they hadn't even heard of the E70 :eek: .

So I am currently waiting to get my hands on a MDA Vario 2 and an E70 so I can compare the 2, as they both have there advantages and disadvantages for what i want them for. My contract doesn't end till beginning of July so just gonna have to wait and see, but my finger has come mighty close to just ordering a MDA Vario lol but I will hold off for the new phones (I hope :D )

If anyone has anymore info on the release date of this, maybe a Nokia employee, it would be great.

Soldato
twiceborn said:
Anyone know an approximate release date for this phone? I'm about to spring for an N80 but might wait for this. I've scoured Google, but to no avail.

Why does there seem to be so little excitement about the E70? Seems perfect to me, barring the dodgy looks. Faster processor than the N80, more RAM, landscape browsing, QWERTY keyboard, but pocket-sized... what more could you want? LOL, maybe I'm missing something.

N80 has the same processor as the E series (around 300mhz or so). It does have less RAM though.

Associate
mrochester said:
N80 has the same processor as the E series (around 300mhz or so).
Good to know, and makes me more keen on the N80 tbh. Just shows you have to choose your sources wisely (was some German review site I think, that said the N80 had a ~200MHz processor). OcUK all the way :cool:

Soldato
OP
Just been compairing the MDA Vario and the E70 and am I right in saying the E70 has a superior screen as the Vario has a TFT touchscreen, 65K colors and the E70 has TFT, 16M colors??

What is the real world benefit from this is one a QVGA screen and the other a VGA screen? As I think the Vario 2 has only 65k or 252k colours so I am assuming the E70 is much better if it can have 16million colours?

Soldato
AFK_Matrix said:
Just been compairing the MDA Vario and the E70 and am I right in saying the E70 has a superior screen as the Vario has a TFT touchscreen, 65K colors and the E70 has TFT, 16M colors??

What is the real world benefit from this is one a QVGA screen and the other a VGA screen? As I think the Vario 2 has only 65k or 252k colours so I am assuming the E70 is much better if it can have 16million colours?

Vario is 240x320 pixel resolution while E70 is 352x416, so you'll get a much sharper picture on the E70.

Caporegime
AFK_Matrix said:

Better res on the Nokia, but a smaller actual screen size at 35x41mm versus the Vario's 42x57.

As I watch a lot of tv shows to and from work, the bigger, lower res screen of my Vario is of more use to me, but it's up to the individual as to what they want. :)

amx

amx

Associate
OT
but is bigger, lower res screen's better simply because the files will be smaller? as I thought a higher res screen would produce a sharper image for you to watch?

Soldato
OP
Well I am used to a widescreen on my 9300 so think its going to be weird at first to use either the E70 or the MDA Vario 2. I am leaning towards the E70 now for a few reasons:

1. It is out now and by all indications the Vario 2 isn't comming for several months now :(

2. Its smaller and lighter.

3. The screen is higher resolution but then it is smaller (going to try and hold out for the vario 2 so i can compare them)

The only thing i am not sure on is the speed of the Symbian OS as I have heard that Symbian OS's are quite slow??

Well I just hope tmobile or O2 pull there fingers out and get the vario2/Trion out asap want to go to a shop and have both the E70 and Vario 2 in me hands so i can do a proper comparison.

Soldato
The only thing i am not sure on is the speed of the Symbian OS as I have heard that Symbian OS's are quite slow??

Some people have noted that Symbian/S60 handsets can be quite slow if the device doesn't have much memory. This isn't unique to Symbian smartphones, but it can be very noticable if you're used to non-smartphones. Luckily, the E70 has quite a generous amount of memory onboard - almost double that of the N80.

Don't forget that your current 9300 runs Symbian too. :)

Back
Top Bottom