blowing exhaust

Transmission breaker
Don
I have a quick question, does a blowing exhaust affect MPG?? Noticed mine is blowing from where the first box manifold looks a bit knackered.

I blocked up the tail pipe on idle and it kept running, could hear the gases escaping from that join.

Noticed my MPG being rather poor at the same time, kinda hoping its related :p

Soldato
Leaks at the front of the exhaust can cause poor economy if there is an oxygen(lambda) sensor fitted as the air drawn in will cause a weak mixture to be registered by the ECU which will add more fuel to compensate. If no lambda sensor then small leaks make very little difference, apart from causing lots of popping on the overrun.

Soldato
Heh, I've noticed loads of popping from my exhaust.

It's blowing just where the centre pipe meets the cat... if I get my foot down hard and lift off quickly, I can get it to make a rather loud bang! :D

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Dogbreath said:
Leaks at the front of the exhaust can cause poor economy if there is an oxygen(lambda) sensor fitted as the air drawn in will cause a weak mixture to be registered by the ECU which will add more fuel to compensate. If no lambda sensor then small leaks make very little difference, apart from causing lots of popping on the overrun.

Its the very first join at the bottom of the manifold, i actually dont know if my car has Lambda...

I shall google...

Man of Honour
Blowing exhausts really aggravate me.

I've got 2 choices tomorrow - I can either:

Drop my exhaust, get out the MIG, attempt to lay some bird droppings across the cnetre hanger, and re-fit

OR

Drop my exhaust and hurl it into the nearest bin, get out the MIG, and try and knock up something concocted from standard components, OMP components, and Magnex components.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Lopéz said:
Blowing exhausts really aggravate me.

I've got 2 choices tomorrow - I can either:

Drop my exhaust, get out the MIG, attempt to lay some bird droppings across the cnetre hanger, and re-fit

OR

Drop my exhaust and hurl it into the nearest bin, get out the MIG, and try and knock up something concocted from standard components, OMP components, and Magnex components.

Option 2 sounds good to me :D

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Gaijin said:
is there no kind of sealant that can be used to sort blowing out?

I have no idea what the actual leak looks like yet. Once i know what its like i will make a judgement as to what is required.

However at the moment there is some doubt if my car actually has a lambda sensor!!

Soldato
Gaijin said:
is there no kind of sealant that can be used to sort blowing out?

there is yeah.. exhaust putty and exhaust bandages..

but they are only temp fixes really.. i had done mine and it was ok for a couple months.. but its proper blowing now.. so new parts time.. yey

Bat

Bat

Associate
I used plumbing sealant on my bike exhausts. It's clear and never dries completely solid. Working a treat so far.

Soldato
How true is it that stainless steel exhausts cost almost the same as a regular one?

I think my new mondeo has a tiny hole somewhere as if I boot it then around 4k rpm it sounds like it's blowing, but only around 4k rpm for about 500rpm.

Also, doesnt always do it. Werid!

Soldato
Tesla said:
How true is it that stainless steel exhausts cost almost the same as a regular one?

I think my new mondeo has a tiny hole somewhere as if I boot it then around 4k rpm it sounds like it's blowing, but only around 4k rpm for about 500rpm.

Also, doesnt always do it. Werid!

a stainless steel exhaust will cost £200-300 for a mondeo you could get a normal one for half that maybe less excluding the cat :)

Soldato
What about just cat-back?

I think I need to get my car up on some ramps to check it out, also I can screw on the engine floor tray I kept off of my last mondeo.

Back
Top Bottom