I guess I'm a spammer.

Soldato
Some spamming, er, twits - for want of a naughtier word - must have been using my domain in 'from' or 'reply-to' headers to mask out their own email addresses. So I've suffered a couple of weeks of bounced emails arriving at my inbox, as the smarter spam-catchers have managed to limit their email to known senders, or as the spammers have sent to a non-existent address.

Now, if a load of spam is being sent out with my domain on it - could it end up that my perfectly legit emails will also get trashed by spam-catching software, as it has been indicated that spam has come from this domain?

Going to be really upset if I'm labelled a spammer and blocked through no fault of my own :(

Last edited:
Soldato
If someones spamming using your ID so its a fake ID and if the reciever marks it as spam then yeah that can happen. Best thing would be to email (with a different one of course) and explain the situation? if its that important.

I get this often too, companies saying how they are interested in something, people saying no go away and so on ~ just some boring t**** getting self amusement off it i guess

Bes

Bes

Soldato
sara said:
Some spamming, er, twits - for want of a naughtier word - must have been using my domain in 'from' or 'reply-to' headers to mask out their own email addresses. So I've suffered a couple of weeks of bounced emails arriving at my inbox, as the smarter spam-catchers have managed to limit their email to known senders, or as the spammers have sent to a non-existent address.

Now, if a load of spam is being sent out with my domain on it ([email protected]) - could it end up that my perfectly legit emails will also get trashed by spam-catching software, as it has been indicated that spam has come from this domain?

Going to be really upset if I'm labelled a spammer and blocked through no fault of my own :(
It all depends on the intellegence of the filtering software at the receiving end. Also whether or not your domain is blacklisted on Spamhaus etc...

Soldato
OP
Mmmm. Wondering how prolific it is, as of course not everyone is going to bounce the spam back. Fingers crossed I don't get black-listed, wish there was a way to avoid it.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I've been getting the same, though, just from my 'backup' freeserve address (I left freeserve several years ago, but they never cut my email, so I use it for spam sites). The front of the email is always randomly generated, i.e.:

axaosda@*******.fsnet.co.uk (anything before the @ always routes to me).

Soldato
sara said:

Now, if a load of spam is being sent out with my domain on it ([email protected]) - could it end up that my perfectly legit emails will also get trashed by spam-catching software, as it has been indicated that spam has come from this domain?

Your domain/the IP of the server you're hosted on could get added to the SORBS database (it's happened to us at Xoopiter and at our other server).

Someone spammed thousands of emails from our servers a while ago, we managed to stop it but got added to SORBS because of the spam (http://www.au.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml).

So the only way your legit emails would get blocked is if the server you're on / the domain name has been added to SORBS.

Craig.

Man of Honour
Yes, sadly, that can get you on spam blacklists, and it's a royal PITA to get off them again. It depends on the volume of spam email and where it gets sent to (there are 'spam traps' out there just waiting to catch spam email and blacklist it).

I don't use domain-based filtering myself - it's far too easy to break. Much better to use content-based filtering, which means genuine content usually gets through wherever it came from.

Man of Honour
Look at the bounce messages and follow the instructions - most people have humans at the other end in my experience, it's only the larger people like Yahoo/AOL and of course the independent lists who are a PITA to get off :)

Soldato
Berserker said:
Yes, sadly, that can get you on spam blacklists, and it's a royal PITA to get off them again. It depends on the volume of spam email and where it gets sent to (there are 'spam traps' out there just waiting to catch spam email and blacklist it).

I don't use domain-based filtering myself - it's far too easy to break. Much better to use content-based filtering, which means genuine content usually gets through wherever it came from.

Not too hard to get yourself off it, both our servers are now off SORBS.
I think you just need a clean record for a few weeks/months then you can be removed.

Back
Top Bottom