Two OS's available, only need one.

Associate
Hi All.

I have just upgraded a windows 2000 system to windows xp pro. for some reason though, when the system is booting up, I am asked to choose what OS i want to boot into.

I only want the system to have Windows XP Pro. How do i completely remove windows 2000 and retain windows xp?

Thanks, Phil

Soldato
RLBUHT said:
Hi All.

I have just upgraded a windows 2000 system to windows xp pro. for some reason though, when the system is booting up, I am asked to choose what OS i want to boot into.

I only want the system to have Windows XP Pro. How do i completely remove windows 2000 and retain windows xp?

Thanks, Phil

Delete the Windows 2003 boot partion from window boot.ini, this can be done via msconfig.

Associate
Open explorer, go to your root drive, and open boot.ini (providing you are not hiding protected operating system files).

Delete the line for the operating system you don't want.

for example, my c:\boot.ini file has the following :

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Full System (60GB)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Gaming Rig (SATA)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

If I only wanted to see one version of windows, I would delete one of the last two lines. I suggest you delete the one that mentions Windows 2000

Associate
OP
Excellent. Worked perfectly. I booted into XP, deleted the folder for Win 2000 and deleted the line in the boot.ini file.

Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom