Help with Amplifier

Associate
I have just bought some new speakers but I need an amplifier to go with them. I have 4x 100 watt speakers and 2x 25 watt speakers.

The problem with me choosing an amplifier is that I don't know much about speakers lol. Do I need an amplifier that does atleast 450 watt's or does the amplifier just boost the speakers from whatever its rated at?

Thank you :)

Soldato
What are you aiming to do with the speakers? Are you planning a surround sound setup? What is your budget?

If you want a surround sound setup, an AV amp will do the trick nicely. I'm a little concerned that you've found a bunch of random speakers, especially the 25wpc ones as that is very low power handling. What are the speakers called?

Poor quality amps are often advertised with their total power output to make them sound better (wow 450W it must be good!). Something by any of the major manufacturers like Sony, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz or Pioneer will do you fine. You might have to stray into the second hand market if you want something decent if your budget is really tight, but in all honesty even if you had thousands to spend second hand is still the best way.

Associate
OP
I am just aiming to get a surround setup for games and films. The 4x 100 watt speakers are Panasonic and the 2x 25 watt speakers are old wharfedale denton 2xp's.

I am on a tight budget and I was looking at second hand anyway, so any suggestions for my requirements, I will look into.

Thank you :)

Suspended
Any AV Amplifier with Pro-Logic, Dolby Digital and DTS processing will do, you don't need 400W output, 25Wx5 will be sufficient. Make sure it has a subwoofer pre-out also.

Something like the Yamaha RXV357. From Richer Sounds (can I mention them?)

Soldato
I saw a second hand Denon 3802 go for £215 on avforums yesterday. You'd be able to pick up an earlier model or a lesser model for much less I would have thought. What's your budget? If you don't have a fixed one you'll end up spending more!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help :)

I can't really say a budget because I don't know enough about them. From the recommendations above, I will go with a budget on those prices and also if it does the job and I get better sound than my trust 4000p 5.1 speakers :)

Thanks again :)

Soldato
Thing is though you could get a good, well, competent amp for £100 second hand. You could also get a good amp for £1000 second hand. I'd be looking for older, top of the line amps. These amps will lack the latest bells and whistles in terms of processing, but the amplification will be top notch. The 3802 (which I have) was about 3rd place in the Denon hierarchy in its day, and it still sounds very good. The later 3803 and 3805 have added video upconversion and HDMI and other interfaces, which I honestly don't need.

Back
Top Bottom