User Accounts

Associate
i have a windows 2003 server running and a username setup in active directory (another server) to use on the server but i cant seem to find out how i make that username an Administrator on that server :confused: any ideas?

Soldato
should just be a matter of adding the user to the administrators group?
this would be better in the Windows & Other software section.

Associate
OP
but the problem is i havent been able to add the user to the pc as i can only find where to add a local account but it needs to be a roaming account

Soldato
ok, start. adminstrative tools, active directory users and computers
then eventually you'll see a users folder in the left pane, click that then in the right pane and click right then new user.
however if you havent ran dcpromo (start -> run -> dcpromo) then it wont display the "active directory users and computers"
whats this for anyhow? as it doesnt sound like you know what you doing (no offense :o )

Associate
OP
no offence taken as i really dont know what im doing lol my first real use of server was last week so its all v new to me. basically im setting up a RIS server and i need to log onto the RIS machine with an account thats a domain administrator? but that account also needs to be an administrator on the local machine to run RISETUP

Soldato
RIS? not sure what that is... :o
tbh im much more knowledgable than you, did a MCSA course while doing my HND which was done quickly and only now are we doing a lot of practical work with servers and services.
as for the local administrator, did you login as admin when using the machine?
if your needing to be a domain administrator again do the same as i posted above, but instead of administrator select domain administrator. that should work.

Soldato
A RIS client install requests domain admin credentials so the computer account can be created in AD, not for permission from the client itself to install (I mean, there's no OS running, so why would it?). Provide a username and password of a domain account that is a member of the 'Domain Admins' group.

Associate
OP
Thanks otacon we managed to get it running now anyway turns out the account i thought was in the admin group actually wasnt :o lol and sja360 theres no need to brag about your qualifications im currently studying to get my MCSA already done my 70-270 exam of which RIS was part of it

Soldato
T180985 said:
Thanks otacon we managed to get it running now anyway turns out the account i thought was in the admin group actually wasnt :o lol and sja360 theres no need to brag about your qualifications im currently studying to get my MCSA already done my 70-270 exam of which RIS was part of it
lol i dont have a mcsa :o
i've done the course but we have to pay £80ish for each exam to which im not ready for by a long shot by the sound of it according to the lecturer.
the reason we done the course was it replaced the exams at the end of the year :D
also i believe they thought it would be more beneficial to which i agree it defo is

Back
Top Bottom