• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which to Get 7900GTX or X1900xtx

Soldato
There are 100 million other threads like this ...

To summarise them all ; both are fine cards, get whichever you have a preference for.

Personally, I would purchase a X1900XTX

Caporegime
The x1900, and 7900 GTX are the same, both are on par with each other.

Just decide what you want, as they both had advantages, and disadvantages.

7900 GTX, is cooler, quieter, and uses less power than the x1900.

x1900 is louder, hotter, uses more power, but can do AA+HDR at the same time which Nvidia cards can't.

:)

Could save another £24 and get the x1900 XT, and clock it to an XTX. :)

Last edited:
b-cos of the special price on the OcUK GeForce 7900 GTX 512MB card this week I'm temped to upgrade from my 7800gtx, people have mention'd in the past tho that I will see no improvement due to my processor and the res I play my games at (1280x1024), is this strickly true ?, I do like to use 16AF and 4AA on most games,

Games that are struggling on my system are, Fear, Quake, COD2, Condemnd, Oblivion, All set at 16AF and 4AA.

Lowrider007

Last edited:
Soldato
I wish people would stop thinking the 7900GTXs are suddenly fantastic prices. They were way over-priced in the first place, and in terms of raw performance the X1900XTX is a better card.

Tommy B said:
I wish people would stop thinking the 7900GTXs are suddenly fantastic prices. They were way over-priced in the first place, and in terms of raw performance the X1900XTX is a better card.

dude i agree that x1900XTX is better, but,

1. I would have to upgrade my psu

2. I'm very fussy about fan noise

3. Heat is a major issue in my system at the mo, what with my ppu in there my gtx idles at 65 and I know the x1900xtx's run hot.

Any other opinions regarding my post no4, cheers

Last edited:
Associate
Tommy B said:

OK SO AA + HDR is nice, but personally i'd still rather have a cooler, quieter, less power hungry card for the same price as a x1900xt.

think about it another way............people building a system will need to spend more on psu and case cooling if crossfiring ati's card(not to mention the mastercard melarkie :eek: )

not to mention ati's poor openGL track record.

i do agree the x1900xt series is better, but its all about pro's and con's.

Caporegime
lowrider007 said:
b-cos of the special price on the OcUK GeForce 7900 GTX 512MB card this week I'm temped to upgrade from my 7800gtx, people have mention'd in the past tho that I will see no improvement due to my processor and the res I play my games at (1280x1024), is this strickly true ?, I do like to use 16AF and 4AA on most games,

Games that are struggling on my system are, Fear, Quake, COD2, Condemnd, Oblivion, All set at 16AF and 4AA.

Lowrider007

You'll see loads of improvement, you'll be able to crank AA/AF right up and improve the eye candy no end, im using an x1800 XT 512mb at that resolution perfectly fine. :)

Oops, didn't see you already had a 7800 GTX, would still get some improvement i guess, but not by a huge amount.

Soldato
lol..I'm running oblivion tweaked highest settings aa+af+hdr and it looks amazing. Lowest I drop is in oblivion towers, and thats a killer. Running a basic 1900xt got on offer when they were for 260-270 too so bloody amazing card.
Every other game I have this game chews through. Haven;t even bothered clocking cos its soo fast now.
Dunno whether its still the case, but ATI used to take a lower perf hit using aa+af too

Back
Top Bottom