• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

This Week Only 7900GTX or X1900XT-X both @ (£317)

Associate
I'm looking at the OCuK brand of GeForce 7900 GTX on "This Week Only" What I'd like to ask is that can these OCuK Brand of GTX be overclocked to match to top end XFX brand at without using watercooling ect just on there stock cooler? If so then I think its best to buy the cheap brand and overclock it to match the XFX if thats possible.

GeForce 7900 GTX Core running at 700MHz
512MB GDDR3 Extreme Memory running at 1800MHz

My other idea is wether to buy a Connect3D X1900XT-X at the same price (£317) or the GTX and then overclock that.

Over all which card can I get the most out of, besides all this noise/heat/power which I'm not interested in just the best proforence either card can offer. Iv had SLI 7800GTX (single slot coolers) which did get warm. I dont be able to SLI these new dual slot coolers because my motherboard just hasnt the space between each PCI-E slot but I can always upgrade it and keep the card.

So if you were me and your buget was £317 and can buy either a OcUK GeForce 7900 GTX 512MB or a Connect3D ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X which would you go for? including overclocking abilities.

Thank You // Mark

Last edited:
Caporegime
The 7900 GTX run cooler use less power and overclock great.They are silent under load.

But cannot do AA and HDR at the same time.

The x1900 runs hotter is noiser and uses more power and can do AA and HDR at the same time.

They both perform on par with each other beating each other in different games.

I would get the 7900 GTX for the reasons mentioned plus you can SLI them for even better performance.

Associate
OP
Please explain AA and HDR at the same time, I run games at 1280x1024 and use drive AF but ingame AA?!?!?

Thanks..p.s yes Gibbo they are cheap and your giving me a hard time picking which card lol :) damn you

Caporegime
easyrider said:
The 7900 GTX run cooler use less power and overclock great.They are silent under load.

But cannot do AA and HDR at the same time.

The x1900 runs hotter is noiser and uses more power and can do AA and HDR at the same time.

I would get the 7900 GTX for the reasons mentioned plus you can SLI them for even better performance.

Sums it up. :)

Only ATi cards can have AA on as well as HDR, Nvidia cards can't, its either one or the other for those. :)

The x1900 is also a great overclocker.

Last edited:
Suspended
easyrider said:
The 7900 GTX overclock great. But cannot do AA and HDR at the same time.

The x1900 can do AA and HDR at the same time.

I would get the 7900 GTX for the reasons mentioned

Changed in respect of his requirements (heat/noise/power not a issue)

Since I haven't used a 7900GTX I can't offer opinion if the 7900GTX is better, but am happy with X1900XT.

Associate
LoadsaMoney said:
Sums it up. :)

Only ATi cards can have AA on as well as HDR, Nvidia cards can't, its either one or the other for those. :)

That's not quite true. It's just that Nvidia cards don't (and for all intents and purposes can't) support SM3.0HDR and AA at the same time. They can however render both simultainiously using altnerate methods to heavy shader use.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/326/23/ (half way down)

Wikpedia also explains it more and i think Supersampling can be used in some useful way too, but i don't know the details.

Last edited:
Suspended
elite said:
Well im ready to order just need to read some more reviews, but first can someone please explain what HDR is and what it has to do with AA+HDR together?

Thanks

HDR is dynamic lighting, think it's high contrast lighting or something. Oblivion uses it, ie sun shining off armour/ice. It's a little OTT but you can reduce it apparently. It does improve realism quite a bit.

AA is anti-aliasing, reduces jaggies.

Associate
OP
LoadsaMoney said:
They are both £305, don't know where you got £317 from.

You can get an x1900 XT for only £281 and clock it up to an XTX, so why not save another £24 odd. :)

omg im so sure I need £317 for both cards....then that helps me out...think ill go for the GTX for the sli upgrade later, they update there drivers more, less power used, quite, I like the NV driver profiles.

OcUK Staff
elite said:
If i order now will It be here for friday? Or do I need to pay for Saturday delivery?

(waiting to order)

Order before 4:30pm and as long as their are no payment issues you will get it tomorrow! :)

Back
Top Bottom