If the year was 1944 would you.....

Zip

Zip

Soldato
....sign up to the army and become a soldier?

Last year i know i wouldnt have but today i think i would, even though we know what the condisions were like on the battle field back then and the chance of being killed.

So would you sign up and fight for your country or what ever you have to fight for?

Edit: Or Join the airforce and navy.
And none of this behind the desk jobs. Im talking frontline stuff

Edit again: For those people that coment it wasnt very hard after 1944 how about i ad in the ability to join up from the beginning

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It wasn't a matter of "Signing up" but yes I would - it'd make me the most proud one can be bar having children.

The idea of dying on the battlefield isn't something I'm afraid of strangely, dying anywhere else yeah scary. I can't imagine a better place to die than on the battlefield.

Last edited:
Suspended
Zip said:
....sign up to the army and become a soldier?

Last year i know i wouldnt have but today i think i would, even though we know what the condisions were like on the battle field back then and the chance of being killed.

So would you sign up and fight for your country or what ever you have to fight for?

No I would not sign up and become a soldier - I would join the airforce or navy :D Although I work in telecommunications so technically would be exempt :eek:

Associate
Given the option I wouldn't sign up, more or less for the same reasons I wouldn't sign up now.

If made to sign up depending upon the consequences and conditions we were under (and the task to be perfomed) I probibly would sign up.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
Zefan said:
It wasn't a matter of "Signing up" but yes I would - it'd make me the most proud one can be bar having children.

So the British army was conscripts?

Sorry for my ignorance, i thought the were volunteers(well they chose to sign up but got paid a tiny bit of money)
I thought you lot were the same as us

Associate
Zefan said:

The idea of dying on the battlefield isn't something I'm afraid of strangely, dying anywhere else yeah scary. I can't imagine a better place to die than on the battlefield.
+1

I'd see it as an honour to serve my country during a time of great need (WWII).

Man of Honour
Zip said:
So the British army was conscripts?

Sorry for my ignorance, i thought the were volunteers(well they chose to sign up but got paid a tiny bit of money)
I thought you lot were the same as us

Yes, infact every single thing everyone did was towards the war effort. It's known as "Total War" where every bit of productivity be it farming or factory production is turned to prioritise the war.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
Zefan said:
Yes, infact every single thing everyone did was towards the war effort. It's known as "Total War" where every bit of productivity be it farming or factory production is turned to prioritise the war.

I think it was like that down here aswell.
Except our army was all volenteers and all of them chose to go fight, thats the same as WW1 aswell.
Brave lads they must have been

Man of Honour
Zip said:
It was the year a lot of people remember :o

It's not that much of a terrible day ( I presume you mean Operation Overlord etc?). I'd say the day (I don't know the date) that London was first bombed was a more harrowing one. If you want to remember a day even worse than that then google about what happened to Dresden.

Back
Top Bottom