Something about the PS3 bugging me

Soldato
So we've been told there will be 2 versions of the PS3.

1. 20 gig with no hdmi
2. 60 gig with hdmi

However, I assume both the units are going to come with a Blue Ray drive?

What will be the point in the 20 gig having a Blue Ray drive if it wont be able ot output to a HD device?

I was under the understanding that any Blue Ray content can only be displayed over HDMI / HD?

Paul ...

Edit: completely miss-read the question.

Everyone is kicking off about the HDMI connection. What I want to know is, are they simply not putting the cable in the box, and replacing it with a composite cable. Like MS did with the component cable, or are Sony removing the support for a HDMI cable. Also they have not mentioned whether the DVI cable will be supported.

Last edited:
Soldato
The lower end model lacks wi-fi, a slot for memory cards and, in particular, a port to hook up a HDMI lead for high-definition programmes.

The decision to offer a model without HDMI has raised concerns about the high-definition compatibility of the PS3.

Mr Harrison shrugged off these fears, insisting that the both models would offer full HD output.

"What we should be clear about is that the functionality is identical in both machines," he told the BBC News website. "There is no difference in what the machine does."

"It's just that the technical method of extracting audio and video from the devices is slightly different," said Mr Harrison, who heads up Sony Computer Entertainment worldwide studios.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4760553.stm

Sounds like there's no HDMI support at all but it will have component or something instead maybe?

Soldato
think most film companies will avoid hdcp for 2 years or more because of a predicted loss of slaes in markets such as asia and the US where HDTV's but without HDCP have been around for a good while. So maybe sony are counting on that.

Man of Honour
pinkaardvark said:
think most film companies will avoid hdcp for 2 years or more because of a predicted loss of slaes in markets such as asia and the US where HDTV's but without HDCP have been around for a good while. So maybe sony are counting on that.

I'd guess that's also one of the main reasons the 360 doesn't have a HDMI port, as I'd have thought the vast majority of the US HDTVs only have component.

Soldato
also i think with the 20gb one, it doesnt have an HDMI slot in the back of it, but i wouldnt rule out a cable going into the slot on the cheap one and going into an HDMI TV slow, a la xbox 360 is going to have to do, just a way to try recoup money.
But i could be wrong

JUMPURS said:
also i think with the 20gb one, it doesnt have an HDMI slot in the back of it, but i wouldnt rule out a cable going into the slot on the cheap one and going into an HDMI TV slow, a la xbox 360 is going to have to do, just a way to try recoup money.
But i could be wrong

IMO it will work the same way the PS2 and xbox and 360 work.

At one end of the cable there is the TV connection with what ever connetion type requied (composite, component, DVI, HDMI) at the other end there is a standard fitting connection with various pins depending on the output required.

have Sony actually said no HDMI support, or no HDMI cable? Everyone has reported it as No HDMI port, but the last few consoles made have had one generic TV output that has allowed many connectors to be connected. I think this has been missinterperated.

Soldato
OP
Perhaps they mean with the 20gig you dont get a HDMI cable, you get a scart lead, which will go into a universal fitting on the PS3 which is capable of transmitting a HD signal.

But with the 60gig version is has a HDMI > HDMI connection?

Paul ...

Soldato
Kronologic said:
IMO it will work the same way the PS2 and xbox and 360 work.

At one end of the cable there is the TV connection with what ever connetion type requied (composite, component, DVI, HDMI) at the other end there is a standard fitting connection with various pins depending on the output required.

have Sony actually said no HDMI support, or no HDMI cable? Everyone has reported it as No HDMI port, but the last few consoles made have had one generic TV output that has allowed many connectors to be connected. I think this has been missinterperated.

Sony are sometimes very poor comunicators.
yeah thats the idea i was meaning, the way consoles have been doing recently
I think what has been said is not HDMI port so you cant use a standard hdmi cable, like u would just now using an upscaling dvd player, sony have said the workings of the consoles are the exact same so i dont know how HDMI can't be support in that method. Although i could be wrong, and it wouldnt be the first time

Soldato
I personally think its been misunderstood and as above its a universal port which can output to what is required, no way would Sony kill off half the planet in one sweep ( more like 80% at the moment)

Soldato
I am more worried about the cost of this thing, the more expensive version is going to be £492 :eek: (going on the euro/pound conversion rate + 17.5% VAT). Nearly twice as much as the 360 which may drop in price by the time the PS3 is out :/

Soldato
Raikiri said:
I am more worried about the cost of this thing, the more expensive version is going to be £492 :eek: (going on the euro/pound conversion rate + 17.5% VAT). Nearly twice as much as the 360 which may drop in price by the time the PS3 is out :/
I personally think it will be more like £330 and around £400 inc vat no way will it be another £100 ontop

Soldato
FrankJH said:
I personally think it will be more like £330 and around £400 inc vat no way will it be another £100 ontop

I am going on conversion rates and VAT and not what I think, and to cover their costs and the extra charges we pay in tax thats how much they would be.

Associate
as said, HDMI is only required for playing HDCP content. As most movie studios are not going to be using HDCP for atleast 6months + then there are going to be a lot of titles out that wont need the HDMI connection.

Associate
Raikiri said:
I am going on conversion rates and VAT and not what I think, and to cover their costs and the extra charges we pay in tax thats how much they would be.

Ignore the VAT its already been added to the Euro price. So €599 = £415 at todays rate (approx) MS did the same with the 360's price (€399 = £275) You have to remember that the prices quoted are street prices.

Commissario
Kamakazie! said:
as said, HDMI is only required for playing HDCP content. As most movie studios are not going to be using HDCP for atleast 6months + then there are going to be a lot of titles out that wont need the HDMI connection.

But 12-18 months down the line there probably will be, certainly the newer films :(

Man of Honour
Nickg said:
but why is this a bug bear about the ps3, and not about the xbox HD-DVD drive, which is also lacking HDCP compliant connection?

We can conclude that both MS and Sony have been a little silly with regards to High Definition DVDs and how they're implemented in their consoles.

Hopefully, with the PS3, it would be a case of just having to buy a HDMI AV cable for the console, but we'll have to wait and see for that one.

With the 360, we can only hope that some sort of HDMI cable is introduced either with the HD-DVD drive or solely for the 360 itself.

Is there some sort of chance a compromise can be made and copyrighted content could be played over an analogue component cable instead?

Soldato
I don't know why peeps keep complaining about the price of the ps3, a 360 is £270 and how much is a hd-dvd going to cost when its released this year, £100 + ? so really the ps3 price aint that bad.

Back
Top Bottom