Just been thrown off the tube.......

Soldato
....because some one had left a suitcase unattended on a carriage. It was a bit worrying with all that is going on today with the reports, even more so that I was sitting 3 metres away from the case :/

What was even worse was that as soon as a woman started asking around if it was anyones case, even when it wasn't claimed, no-body looked remotely concerned that it had just been left there!!

I was off the train at the next stop like a shot, at which point everyone was told to get off the train and the station closed, all within about 5 minutes.

It was good that the staff acted quickly, but I was shocked at the "I don't care" attitude as to who this case belonged to, and when they were forced to get off the train everyone looked annoyed at the inconvenience it had caused!

Do you get the feeling that some people just don't get the necessary security measures these days?!

Soldato
OP
Skully said:
What would you prefer the other people to do?

Run around screaming?

No, but no-one showed any concern at all, even when the train stopped and the guards came over to inspect the case everyone just sat there not looking even remotely bothered. I just found that strange considering all fuss that is made of unattended bags!

Associate
my saturday job is in the mall over new street station
we get fairly regular 'bomb threats' - we have to evacuate the store about once a month - people just don't care
they're more bothered about getting their shopping finished
when you ask people to leave the shop, they look at you like you're mad :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Brum Man said:
No, but no-one showed any concern at all, even when the train stopped and the guards came over to inspect the case everyone just sat there not looking even remotely bothered. I just found that strange considering all fuss that is made of unattended bags!

You obviously are not from london then.

I doubt londoners will even flinch if a gunman walked on with an AK-47 and sat down.

Soldato
OP
Well I've only been down here for 2 months so not a 'Londoner'.

I think the thing that bothered me the most was the fact that no-one even mentioned reporting it, even after no-one claimed it. Even after being told for the past 5 years to be extra vigal and report any left baggage!

Just seemed a bit, well, dumb.

Caporegime
Brum Man said:
Well I've only been down here for 2 months so not a 'Londoner'.

I think the thing that bothered me the most was the fact that no-one even mentioned reporting it, even after no-one claimed it. Even after being told for the past 5 years to be extra vigal and report any left baggage!

Just seemed a bit, well, dumb.

It's not dumb, its they want to get on with their jounrney without being held up. In 6 months you'll act just the same.

Suspended
Brum Man said:
I was off the train at the next stop like a shot, at which point everyone was told to get off the train and the station closed, all within about 5 minutes.

Do you get the feeling that some people just don't get the necessary security measures these days?!

So you werent actually thrown of the train at all, you left of your own accord! :p

To most people, it was simply a suitcase, some idiot had left the train and left their suitcase behind. Most people would probably think that a bomb would never happen to them and im sure there is a much greater percentage of it just being a suitcase than a bomb.

Odds are, everyone was thinking that the owner was a pleb for leaving it, unless my g/f was with me i dont think i would have reacted much differently, after all, its pretty hard to get off a train until it gets to a station anyway.

If everyone went around thinking that every left bag, suitcase or box was a bomb the terrorists would win, they have caused huge amounts of fears with their attacks but to let it effect our everyday lives would let them beat us.

Last edited:
Associate
Must happen all the time then. I read about the lost property "warehouse" of the tube and hundreds of things get lost everyday. It's better to safe than sorry but I can't imagine they do that everytime someone loses a bag? Do they?

Suspended
I got a story that can trump that! Musta been about Sept/Oct last year....

I was on the 521 bus going my usual route from London Bridge to Holborn in the morning commute (one of those catch fire bendy buses) and there was a asian guy sitting at the back already when we did the "commuter scrum" to get on. This is unusual as its always empty (start/end of the route).

He was staring down the bus with a maniac style grin that was firstly just disturbing, I sat at my usual seat (one row from the back) the bus filled up and started moving.

This guy was sitting at the back one seat away from the window which had his rucksack on, he wouldnt let anyone past or move his bag to let anyone sit down.

He started mouthing random crap once the bus had closed it doors, but what he was saying started to get disturbing. He was going on about children and how his had been taken away (small group of school kids a bit further down) he was going on about his house taken away (baring in mind he was just basically talking to the back of the bus rather than anyone specific).

Straight away the women sitting next to me got up and stood right next to the doors.

Understand his tone and voice was very VERY disturbing.

Next he starts going on about his bag saying "I bet you all know what I got in here", as well as "its going to happen this day or the next you know its going to happen".

Keeping in mind I think it was less than 3/4 months after the london bombings I am getting pretty nervous (was also pretending to be engrossed in my book). He carried on this way making more and more threats and disturbing comments.

The bus got to St Pauls so I got off (acting natural like I get off there very day ;)) walked around the corner and dialled 999.

Problem is loads of 521's go through like 1 every 3 min or so at that time so I got no idea if they arrested him or what happened :( But it really shook me up.

Soldato
Was that somewhere near Kings Cross? I think I heard about a suspect package on the long list of delays today. Funny how a few days ago the trains were delayed do to wet slippery rails and now they are delayed due to hot rails! :rolleyes:

I'm sure everyone who spots a supect package on a tube has a small debate in their head. Report it, cauing the station (and possibly the line) to close, and look like a pleb as its most likely to be forgotted luggage, or ignore it with the small risk of being blown into tiny little pieces.

As I'm in no rush to get to work these days I'm sure I'd call it in.

Associate
i know i'd have the attitude that if it was a bomb, it would have probably gone off already. and the bombers were suicide bombers, not left suitcases or anything left at all. you could spend your whole life being scared of something that could happen, or just get on with life. people are stupid, i'm sue who ever left their bag there didn't want to, you think they do it deliberately or out of ignorance ... no. just a brief lapse in concentration.

Soldato
I was coming home from manchester before as I walking in to WHSmiths

"Excuse me is this anyones suit case" (this is 3 weeks atfer the bombings in london)

At this point every one in the shop leaves, the women is walkin around asking people is this their bag.

I buy my paper and make my way to my platform which is about 500m away from WHSmiths :D

Nothing like self presentation

KaHn

Soldato
Skully said:
What would you prefer the other people to do?

Run around screaming?

In the context of the situation no.

But i have a really strong mental image of a load of men and women in suits on a playground running around a suitcase in the middle, screaming and shouting waving their arms in the air.. and im quite amused by it..

dun

dun

Soldato
99.99%+ it is just a bag someone has forgot thats why no one cares. The other tiny chance isn't worth worrying about especially if you were 3m away, you wouldn't feel a thing unless it was some kind of trainy created bomb...

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I used to live in London, people really dont care.

On my way to school many years ago a man jumped under the train I was about to get on. Far from people being concerned, the commuters were generally irate there was a delay etc. Fairly shocking stuff when you are 12!

Canary wharf bombing was again just another inconvenience once the initial shock had died down.

Bags on trains are common enough to make people not even look twice.

Cigarette tins on tables in pubs scare me more than abandoned bags on trains ever will...

Back
Top Bottom