Scaring my sister into stopping P2P

Soldato
I'm getting really annoyed at my sisters as they refuse to quit using P2P and are downloading a horrible amount and I don't want to see my parents face huge fines. As much as I have explained that it's illegal and we'll face huge fines they refuse to listen. So now I am going to go for a shock factor. How can I really scare them? I was thinking about a fake E-Mail or phone call from RIAA stating complaints about us downloading. Anyone else got any ideas?

Soldato
If you want to scare them i think that a posted letter will have more impact, so if you just type up a document and put a particular governement stamp on it and post it to yourself in with the mail, it'll be much more scary than just an email, you could just hide under the desk and go "RAWRRRRRR!" though.

Soldato
OP
RandomTom said:
If you want to scare them i think that a posted letter will have more impact, so if you just type up a document and put a particular governement stamp on it and post it to yourself in with the mail, it'll be much more scary than just an email, you could just hide under the desk and go "RAWRRRRRR!" though.

LOL. I think a letter would be good actually. I can put some made up technical jargon that sounds good (eg. IP address and using illegal ports blah blah) to make it sound better. Anyone got any ideas of what I should include?

tickle me elmo said:
port blocking :)

That might be good as well. If they don't stop after the letter I'll try that.

Spamalot said:
Wouldnt botther tbh, there is very little chance of them getting caught.

You never know. It's quite scary, she has atleast 500 songs downloaded (atleast). I have atleast stopped them sharing but it's still a worry :(

Soldato
Block the ports, I will point a domain of mine to a webpage you could make saying due to 300,000 P2P users on your sisters favourite P2P being taken to court the P2P company has stopped offering the service and was shocked to find people were using it to distribute illegal files.

Coupled with it no longer working, may shock them into it. Or say your ISP no longer supports it as it is being used mainly for illegal use, and that you have to write to them to re-enable it with the reason why. Also blocking the ports.

Either should work well. :)

Pho

Pho

Soldato
-White-Knight- said:
You never know. It's quite scary, she has atleast 500 songs downloaded (atleast). I have atleast stopped them sharing but it's still a worry :(

That's nothing compared to what most people have; I know the RIAA etc do tend to pick on people like your sister but I'd of thought they'd be more intered in the bigger downloaders.

Soldato
OP
Yewen said:
Block the ports, I will point a domain of mine to a webpage you could make saying due to 300,000 P2P users on your sisters favourite P2P being taken to court the P2P company has stopped offering the service and was shocked to find people were using it to distribute illegal files.

Coupled with it no longer working, may shock them into it. Or say your ISP no longer supports it as it is being used mainly for illegal use, and that you have to write to them to re-enable it with the reason why. Also blocking the ports.

Either should work well. :)

Sounds like a great idea. The only problem is the one she uses many of her friends do, so it'll be a bit funny if ours doesn't yet everyone else's does. I'm just looking what port this P2P uses and seeing how to block it. It's connected to a WGR614v5 router via WiFi, I've done port forwarding but not blocking. I assume it's fairly straight forward?

Soldato
As long as shes not uploading stuff (i.e her shared folder doesnt contain what shes downloading) the chances of anything happening are really small.

Just set her shared folder(s) to be empty.

Its the upload traffic that costs the ISP and thats what they hate.

But as most have said a Letter would be the best in terms of shock factor

Permabanned
-White-Knight- said:

hahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahaahahaa...

If you have anything to worry about it's her accidently getting a virus, rather than the RIAA or whoever smashing through your roof to take away the PC and fine your family for everything they're worth :p

Soldato
Surely annoying your sister would come up on most of your priority lists though?

It is only fair we try and help him do it in the best way possible. :)

Soldato
you'll find authorities are a bit less bothered about someone downloading songs in even 4 figure numbers, those uploading albums movies and software to millions of users are on the other hand targetted quite severely.

Back
Top Bottom