Tooping up water in car?

Soldato
Hi all, my mum has just come home from work and is saying that she needs to top up the water in her car as it hasn't been done for ages.

She has a 1999 V reg 1.25 fiesta, just wondering, will the water need topping up and if so how often would you say? Or is it a case of checking to see if there's enough in and if not topping it up?

Associate
DanTheMan said:
Or is it a case of checking to see if there's enough in and if not topping it up?

Yup basically - fill a kettle ( with cold water ) :p - pop open the bonet and water container, then just fill it up to water reaches near the top. Close the lid - your done

Man of Honour
bloody hell, how can you not now this, sorry but if she doesn't now where the water goes she shouldn't be driving. Its basic maintance to ensure you have a safe car to drive in.

By the sounds of it you should check

water for *** windscrene wipers and the radiator

and oil level for the brakes probably wouldn't go amiss.

All found under the bonnet. Also check tyre pressure and wear.

Soldato
ShakenNstirred said:
don't just use tap water in the rad its not good for it
use distilled or ready mixed
tap water is full of crap that turns to lime scale and can over time block and corrode the waterway
ROFL, it's best to get it blessed by the local priest as well.

Soldato
burns said:
ROFL, it's best to get it blessed by the local priest as well.
don't know that you rofl-ing for mate
i have an engine here thats got a corroded/warn away block(right were the head gasket should seal, you can see were the water coming out of one of the water pipes opposite the corrosion has over time warn the alloy away till its to thin to seal) the guy that had the car before me always used tap water.
it a bit like were a river slowly widens the bends as i flows by

Soldato
ShakenNstirred said:
don't just use tap water in the rad its not good for it
use distilled or ready mixed
tap water is full of crap that turns to lime scale and can over time block and corrode the waterway

I foudn this out the hard way, normal water and no anti-freeze meant that my pipes got clogged up aswell as my rad.

Soldato
Sorry, Shaken. But there's caring for your car and there's going WAY overboard.

The minute you pour water into the cooling system, it's contaminated beyond anything that will come out of a kitchen faucet.

In a given engine there's up to 7 different kinds of metal. Each one will contribute to electrolysis. Each one will oxidize in the antifreeze (a mild acid btw) and produce different contaminants.

Using distilled or filtered water in your cooling system is like washing your car in the rain. Or even better, washing a rally car in the middle of a race. It's pointless and a waste.

Man of Honour
tedaC said:
Yup basically - fill a kettle ( with cold water ) :p - pop open the bonet and water container, then just fill it up to water reaches near the top. Close the lid - your done

Don't be so absolutely daft.

For a start, this car probably doesn't have 'water' - its a Ford Zetec engine and most of these are fitted with Fords 4life longlife Coolant, not tap water.

Secondly, as others have explained, tap water into a cooling system = bad.

Have a look at the cars handbook and the reservoir - if its pink/orangey you have Fords longlife coolant - it shouldn't ever need changing for the life of the car, and it shouldn't need topping up unless there is a fault.

Certainly don't go filling it with water from a kettle!

Soldato
Mickey_D said:
Sorry, Shaken. But there's caring for your car and there's going WAY overboard.

The minute you pour water into the cooling system, it's contaminated beyond anything that will come out of a kitchen faucet.

In a given engine there's up to 7 different kinds of metal. Each one will contribute to electrolysis. Each one will oxidize in the antifreeze (a mild acid btw) and produce different contaminants.

Using distilled or filtered water in your cooling system is like washing your car in the rain. Or even better, washing a rally car in the middle of a race. It's pointless and a waste.

what do you suggest we do, spit in it to top it up instead? :p

Soldato
tedaC said:

If its the cooling system, and the cars been running DONT pour cold into it, you can cause some serious damage.

Soldato
I've only had to put a small amount in my Civic in nearly a year but I bought some ready mixed coolant from Halfords. I'd heard tap water wasn't too good for it.

Associate
Mix it with antifreeze before putting it in if you want to be sensible otherwise your diluting the mix and antifreeze helps to stop rust as I understand it.

However I always use plain water because Iam never that organised and whatever water added is better then too little. I havent flushed the engine in years, opps

Back
Top Bottom