My case modding/watercooling

Associate
Just finished a bit of a case overhaul *grins manically*

Details are as follows:

- PSU now draws air through top of case, and exausts out of back (seperate form rest of PC

- Added another DVD-RW drive and another FDD

- UV-reactive cables!

- removed all the unused drive bays.

- Jammed an 80mm fan onto the side window

- replaced the horrid plastic bottom 1/2 of the front with wire mesh

- installed UV cathode on/off switch on front

- crammed a 120mm fan in between the bezel and chassis with the radiator inside the case behind it.

- Watercooled the lot

PICS:

before:

pcbefore13tf.jpg

dscf00054ms.jpg

And after:

dscf00100jf.jpg

dscf00169tp.jpg

Still have to touch up the black paint around the UV light switch.. and my UV cathode broke literally moments before taking these pics, but soon i'll have another and then we'll see!

Also, I'm waiting for my RMA'd Graphics card back from OCUK (grrr) so the Graphics waterblock isn't on anything yet :( I've got a tasty BIOS all waiting for the card and everything... Ram sinks galore and the Waterblock should be condusive to a decent overclock

Associate
OP
Yeah, it's PTFE :cool: , they leaked like mad when I was testing out the loop, so I took no prosioners and PTFE'd them to death.

it may be an inch thick, but it sure don't leak :D

Got my GFX arriving next week along with new UV cathodes, so i'll be looking sweeeeeet.

Associate
Could be a dust trap though -intakes on the top..!!

At least you can look in to assess just how dusty it is and decide whether it warrants a clean :D

I would say it is only worth doing if the PSU is the noisiest component - if it is quiet and fans dont spin up then it could be better to have in normal config. > aids airflow though case.

There is no right and wrong, just depends on the system. It is a good idea though - nice work.. :D

Soldato
R B CUSTOMS said:
i cannot quitw work the pump out mate... you do have that loop pumping water IN TO the MIDDLE barb of the CPU block dont you ?

it does look to be the wrong way round actually mate, into the outer 2, and out the centre ... well spotted :D

im wondering why the pump is in a bag / wrapped with tape :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
o is that what it is (tape)
its hard to tell which way the pump is sitting as to tellign which direction it is pumping. so i may be wrong yet.

he said soemthign abotu leaks before wso maybe that explains the tape :S i dont know though just agues... i guess :)

Man of Honour
jellybeard999 said:
it does look to be the wrong way round actually mate, into the outer 2, and out the centre ... well spotted :D

im wondering why the pump is in a bag / wrapped with tape :confused:

A bit concerned ;

As pointed out , CPU block looks to be routed wrongly

I , personally , would not use a pump that has to be wrapped in plastic to control leaks - this will only lead to further problems with the pump overheating etc,

Cheers,

Mark

Permabanned
ok dudes i think the thing wrapped in plastic is the gfx water block as he currently doesnt have a gfx card to mount it on. As far as im aware it looks like the pump is inside the reservoir.

Associate
OP
lol.. yeah

the Pump is in the res. and pumps into the rad before heading off to the CPU (middle barb) I wanted the CPU to get the coolest water it possibly could.

and as Mr mister kindly pointed out, i'm STILL (grr) waiting for my GFX back from OCUK. then the GPU waterblock (currently wrapped in plastic) will be connected and everything will be fine and dandy :D

dust was a bit of a problem with having the PSU draw air from out of the top, but i've got the dust-guard that used to be on the front of the case screwed to the bottom of the fan now.. so it's no longer an issue... (do have to clean it fairly often though)

i'm nearly finished with cutting/painting all the relevent parts now, when I get the GFX card back i'll post pickys :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
mrdbristol said:
A bit concerned ;

As pointed out , CPU block looks to be routed wrongly

I , personally , would not use a pump that has to be wrapped in plastic to control leaks - this will only lead to further problems with the pump overheating etc,

Cheers,

Mark

My apologies for being a Muppet :o !!

Guess my eyesight is failing .

Thanks for pointing out my stupidity , Mr.Mister !

Good Luck with the rest , Mike.

Cheers,

Mark

Associate
OP
Righty ho... i've got an update:

I've added a bleedport at the bottom (i'll be taking this thing to more than a few LAN's... wanna be able to empty it easily)

I've also discovered what to do when you find an old pelt-powered beer-fridge in your garage... i'm just waiting for the neoprene and a new waterblock to mount it properly.

Pics:

Here you can see the bleedport and pelt (that white stuff is ice... i was testing it at the time)

dscf00399tm.jpg

And the whole system...(the sliver fanguard was annoying me)

dscf00400cx.jpg

i'm STILL waiting on this damm graphics card though :(

Back
Top Bottom