xbox 360 weird problem

Associate
Typical, I always get the weird ones, searched Google and couldn't come across this. I don't know if this is the game or the hardware, I was playing PGR3 quite happily and I went onto the next level and the polygons went all strange, weird textures everywhere, almost like they had loaded in the wrong place. The dashboard seemed fine, and the game interface, just the gameplay had weird poly gons. I restarted the sonsole and it seemed fine.

Another weird one was playing GRAW. The first time round the screen went a little fuzzy, like when you go out of area, but it kept getting worse, and I went to the dashboard and it was still fuzzy. Again a reboot fixed it. The fuzzing went away, and the graphics seemed fine, but when I zoomed in on an enemy with the sniper he kept blinking in and out, so strange. Not sure what to do as it's such a weird problem lol.

Associate
OP
Yeah that's the same PGR3 issue I had. Looks like the same track as well, maybe it's a game fault. Should I take it back and get a swap? Only bought it last weekend! :(

Soldato
theMAD2 said:
Yeah that's the same PGR3 issue I had. Looks like the same track as well, maybe it's a game fault. Should I take it back and get a swap? Only bought it last weekend! :(

Yes you should, its not the games fault, I know this because once I had mine replace it was fine even with the same disk. My new unit runs cooler and quieter than the last one, which I think had an issue with cooling the graphics side.

Just take it back and demand a refund or a replacement DO NOT settle for Microsoft picking it up or you will be waiting much much longer.

MB

Permabanned
Nismo said:
Must be @ 30FPS this morning ;)
:p

theMAD2 said:

Those weird polygons is a hardware fault, not game fault. Just in case you were considering taking the game back ;)

Associate
OP
Just take it back and demand a refund or a replacement DO NOT settle for Microsoft picking it up or you will be waiting much much longer.
I'm not very good with these issues, do you think Game will give me a swap as it was only last weekend?

Soldato
There's one track on my PGR3 that everytime that i play it, there will be one texture or something missing and it appears as a bright green square at one of the corners (strange that it only appears on that one track and that one corner).

The glitch I had with Kameo was better... The valve that you needed to use to open the door didn't show up on my game :p So I couldn't open the door... Turning the console off and on again seemed to fix that

Soldato
theMAD2 said:
I'm not very good with these issues, do you think Game will give me a swap as it was only last weekend?

Yes, just take a couple of snaps of the problem on a digital camera then box it up and take it down there and plonk it on the till and say you are returning it under the Sale of Goods Act due to it not being fit for sale, explain the problem and even if they test it insist on a replacement, the guys at Gamestation who tested mine could not get the issue to repeat but then the unit had been powered down for 2 hours and was being tested with an SD TV not an HD Projector. As long as you have the reciept and good cause to believe the unit is broken then you have a right to a replacement from the company which sold it to you.

My new unit is fine with all games and is quieter and cooler, this is obviously a know fault and the answer is a replacement.

MB

Soldato
Smit said:
There's one track on my PGR3 that everytime that i play it, there will be one texture or something missing and it appears as a bright green square at one of the corners (strange that it only appears on that one track and that one corner).

The glitch I had with Kameo was better... The valve that you needed to use to open the door didn't show up on my game :p So I couldn't open the door... Turning the console off and on again seemed to fix that

You have reason to get your unit replaced and I would suggest that you do.

MB

Associate
OP
Yes, just take a couple of snaps of the problem on a digital camera then box it up and take it down there and plonk it on the till and say you are returning it under the Sale of Goods Act due to it not being fit for sale
I'll try, trouble is it hasn't done it in a while. Is it possible the problem could be caused by overheating? Mine is in a cabinet so it wouldn't surprise me. Even if it doesn't glitch again I'm always going to wonder, as it did happen once! It will probably happen right at a crucial moment in a game!

Soldato
theMAD2 said:
I'll try, trouble is it hasn't done it in a while. Is it possible the problem could be caused by overheating? Mine is in a cabinet so it wouldn't surprise me. Even if it doesn't glitch again I'm always going to wonder, as it did happen once! It will probably happen right at a crucial moment in a game!

My new unit went back in EXACTLY the same place as the last one and it works fine. If it is down to overheating then its overheating because of an underlying issue not just because of being in the worng place (at least this was the case for me).

These units have to work in the USA and Aus they should be tollerant of some ambient heat, that said, there should be air movement around the box and it you have put it somewhere with no ventilation IMHO you should at least try to give it some to see if this solves the issue.

MB

Permabanned
themad2...you've got every right to have your 360 replaced if it's faulty, at any time within the first 12 months of you owning it.

for peace of mind i'd get it changed. ring the shop first if you're unsure and get the persons name of who you spoke to so you can ask for them when you go in the shop. that will make it easier for you as they'll already know what you're after.

Soldato
PuncH said:
themad2...you've got every right to have your 360 replaced if it's faulty, at any time within the first 12 months of you owning it.

for peace of mind i'd get it changed. ring the shop first if you're unsure and get the persons name of who you spoke to so you can ask for them when you go in the shop. that will make it easier for you as they'll already know what you're after.

Most of that is right apart from the 12 month bit, your rights to a replacement are not limited to a 12 month period.

MB

Associate
OP
Most of that is right apart from the 12 month bit, your rights to a replacement are not limited to a 12 month period.

MB

So if I take it back, they HAVE to replace it, even if it doesn;t replicate the fault in store? I'll try and get some digi pics.

Permabanned
theMAD2 said:
So if I take it back, they HAVE to replace it, even if it doesn;t replicate the fault in store? I'll try and get some digi pics.

Try and get some pics, or failing that print out Matblacks :D

(matblack...i had an idea you can get stuff replaced beyond 12 months, but didn't think it worth mentioning because mad has only owned his 360 a week ;) )

Soldato
theMAD2 said:

You will have to proove a fault to have justification for a replacement but the pics will help. Not being able to replicate the problem in store is not a reason to deny a refund/ replacement as the store has different conditions to the home. The key is that the unit is 'fit for purpose' so as long as you are using it within the manufacuturers tolerances and it is not working you have just cause to demand a replacement.

MB

Permabanned
The DTI have restructured their website.

The relevent link is now:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/Fact Sheets/page24700.html

Some of the key points that will help you:

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

Do not expect the staff or management in there to have a clue about the sale of goods act.
Do not expect them to be helpful.
Do not expect them not to try and fob you off with stuff such as "did you hoover it".

Take it all back with your receipt or other proof of purchase (take it ALL back) and ask for a replacement.

If they say no then ask for a refund (hence taking it all back).

What is wrong with it - intermittent faults, red lights, screen freezes.

You don't have to prove anything, you are entitled to refund or replacement. You DO NOT HAVE TO RETURN IT VIA MICROSOFT. Your contract is with the place you bought it from.

Don't get into an argument in store (I did and the police were called, but no arrest took place). If they aren't co-operative ask for the persons name and then phone their head office customer services department. Should be on the back of the receipt.

Hopefully you won't have the grief I had. However just to ensure it going smoothly:

Take a mobile phone.
Take the receipt.
Take the entire product back.
Take a copy of the SoG act factsheet in the link.
Don't bother arguing with them, stay pleasant. I can't be pleasant to muppets no matter how hard I try and it doesn't do me any favours.

Permabanned
Matblack said:
You will have to proove a fault to have justification for a replacement ..MB

During the first 6 months I do not believe that you have to prove it, the onus is on the retailer to prove that it is not faulty.
Moreover intermittent faults are extremely hard to replicate and prove. Hence "varied and intermittent faults" such as graphical glitches is a handy phrase when returning an item.

That said pictures of the problem won't hurt. However some instore muppet might try to "diagnose" the problem if you give them too much ammunition.
I think it best to simply say it has X fault on an intermittent basis, I would like a relacement or refund as per my statutory rights afforded under the Sale of Goods Act please".

Back
Top Bottom