• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible GFX Problem? Please help !

Associate
Hi there all,

been having this really annoying problem with my computer, and i think it might be the gfx card, or if u guys can think of something else then I would be grateful.

Here goes......

My current setup is (yes its outdated, but i cant upgrade yet)

Athlon xp 2200+
9800 pro
512 ddr 2700
120 gb seagate ATA

basically the problem occurs when i try and download something, the computer will just automatically reset, and there is nothing i can do about it ! I thought initially it may be a heat problem, so i took off my side panel, but still no joy!

I then thought it might be a gfx driver problem, (as i read about it on some forums) so i updated to the latest catalyst, but still no joy!

Below is the error that i get, once i get back to windows (it does the whole, windows has recovered from a serious error, and when u check the log you get the following

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111303-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\KIRAN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER3.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

i have read that deleting the minidump folder could be the problem, so i tried this and it still doesnt work!!!! I have also recently (a few days ago) done a thorough virus scan and found nothing.......

Please if you can help I will be very grateful!

Soldato
Spyware/malware/etc?

And what you using to measure temps/etc? System could do with a full clean-up , i.e. hardware & software :D

Associate
OP
already done a full virus scan and to no avail.....i have no program to check the temp though i have an old board (gigabyte ga-7vax) i think i should use gigabyte easytune.
But i checked the temp in bios and the cpu temp was @ 58 (is this high ?!) after the reset.....

Associate
powersupply, what have you got? that might be an issue. but the temps do seem a little high, even before I switched to my new cooler, my athlon xp 2600 would idle (as in bios) at about 35C.

How many fans in the case, what is the airflow like?

Resetting due to dling doesn't sound like a GFX problem. Sounds more like a heat/power supply/airflow problem to me.

Associate
OP
powersupply is 550w so i dont think that this is the case....i must agree with you there it could well be an airflow problem....

I have only one extractor fan, which isnt that powerful, but atm i am running the computer with the side panel off, just in case. I also had to take the fan off the agp controller a few months back (dont worry the heatsink is still on there !) as it stopped spinning.....

Associate
what brand of 550W PSU? because although many claim to be that high, for a lot of the cheaper models, that is only the MAXIMUM output, and they are generally not very stable. You really need nice stong, stable voltages.

And 550W in your system is overkill.

What are your full system specs?
motherboard, HDD models, CPU heatsink, case, etc etc.

Associate
OP
its an unbranded PSU, i only got it a while back because i've had my gfx card since it came out, and at the time i remember all sorts of hoo-ha about needing a beefy PSU so i went a bit overboard (as you can tell)!

i have just downloaded memtest and will try that when i get back home, i'll let you know how it gets on.....

thanks for all who contributed

sorry!

full spec of my computer

athlon xp 2200+
gigabyte ga7-vax
512 ddr pc 2700 (generic stuff)
seagate 120 gb ATA HDD
550W generic PSU (unbranded)
EDIT (also, using an akasa fan for the CPU and an unbranded case fan, the case is some old one (yes it's time to upgrade soon but not yet !)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom