Aftermarket Alarm Help

Soldato
Hi,

My Mondeo has some aftermarket alarm.

I am not sure who make it. The fob says "Stirling" on it and there is a small sticker on the back of the fob and it says Toad on that.

One thing I have never dealt with are aftermarket alarm set ups.

How are they fitted? Where are they fitted?

I would like to revert back to the original Ford setup which was apparently faulty (I imagine it is on of the ajar switches or something simple like that) However, I cannot put the alarm into test mode with the aftermarket kit in place.

So what I am really asking is what the hell does this aftermarket kit consist of, who make it, where is it installed in the car, what am I looking for?

Cheers,

Chris

Soldato
Aftermarket alarms are normally wired directly into the loom.

Rip the steering column and lower part of the dash off (normally where the fuse box is).

Locate the alarm control unit and follow the wires to the loom. Look for any signs of electrical tape/crimped wires (which are normally covered with electrical tape).

You'll have to remove the electrical tape and then either unsolder the wires if they're soldered, or uncrimp and then reconnect them back to the rest of the loom.

Hope this is of some help.

If you're unsure and don't want to blow anything up, I'll have a look (or I'm sure other people will be willing) at the RR if you like.

Soldato
Like I said last weekend it really depends where the installer wants to put it (which can be anywhere!).

I think your best bet is find some aftermarket wiring (say from the blinking LED, siren or door lock solenoids) then just trace it back to the alarm.

Soldato
spro.jpg

That's what you are looking for. I am sure there was something under the passenger seat the same kind of size. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
F355 said:
Like I said last weekend it really depends where the installer wants to put it (which can be anywhere!).

I think your best bet is find some aftermarket wiring (say from the blinking LED, siren or door lock solenoids) then just trace it back to the alarm.
Well I have rooted around near the fuse box and under the seats and there are no modules there.

Which leaves behind the steering wheel. From when I broke my last mondeo there are definately modules there but I dont recall which ones.

Soldato
Tesla said:
Well I have rooted around near the fuse box and under the seats and there are no modules there.

Which leaves behind the steering wheel. From when I broke my last mondeo there are definately modules there but I dont recall which ones.

The modules around the steering columb will be for the factory alarm and immob.

Soldato
OP
F355 said:
The modules around the steering columb will be for the factory alarm and immob.
Yes I know, so perhaps the aftermarket one is there too.

I need to remove the aftermarket stuff so i can put the Ford stuff into diagnostics mode and search for problems.

Permabanned
Try behind the drivers kick panel. Also why do you have to disable the aftermarket alarm to enable test mode for the factory alarm? They should work independantly from each other.

Soldato
OP
splitz said:
Try behind the drivers kick panel. Also why do you have to disable the aftermarket alarm to enable test mode for the factory alarm? They should work independantly from each other.
Well 8 presses of the ajar sensor or bonnet catch doesnt do anything, whereas with ford kit i believe it does.

Permabanned
To test the standard alarm I would first arm the Ford alarm and with the windows down proceed to open each door/boot/bonnet and seeing which action triggers the alarm (actually this may not be possible depending on if your car double-locks with alarm arming).

Also if you believe that one of the sensors is not working it would probably be good for you to know that the door ajar sensors are actually located inside the door panels on the central locking module and are NOT the door pin sensors that you can see by the door tubing. It's fairly easy to test these switches providing you have a DMM and a Haynes manual / TIS CD.

Soldato
OP
Very early Mk2 mondeo yes the door ajar sensors were in the doors, but around R reg onwards they moved them onto the B and C pillars.

If you press one of the sensors 8 times consecutively on the Mondeo it goes into diagnostics mode.

I have used the diagnostics before on my last mondeo to find out that the door ajar sensor and barrel lock sensor were both knackered in the drivers door.

However, I dont think I can get the car into diag. mode due to the aftermarket alarm fitted.

Permabanned
Personally I don't see what difference the aftermarket alarm being installed would make to your OEM alarm unless the installer cut and used the Ford triggers. Is this why you are trying to find the aftermarket alarm?

If I were really determined I would lower the central fusebox and trace the aftermarket wires that would, presumably, be there.

Soldato
OP
The problem I have is that the passenger door (front) intermittently works when open or closed is pressed on the fob.

I do not know if this is a wiring problem, solenoid in the door etc...

I do not mind the aftermarket alarm, it's as functional as the Ford but I am trying to find out why the passenger door is iffy.

Also, when it comes to insurance what "class" does my alarm fall under?

Permabanned
I believe the Mondeo will have PATS therefore it will be at least classed as Thatcham CAT 2 .

The passenger door problem will most likely be due to a faulty solenoid as the OEM/aftermarket alarm will only wire to one point , usually to the central locking wire at the fusebox , which in turn is connected to every locking motor.

Back
Top Bottom