Laptop performace, intel/amd?

Soldato
Hi,

A mate is looking for a laptop for general programming/office use etc but maybe for some WOW as well. How do the current lappy chips compare to each other in terms of performace and battery lifespan? ie between say the 1.8ghz Turion and the Core Duo 1.633

Ta

Soldato
OP
The Turion is just an A64 low voltage for lappies right?

Is the Duo faster or compairable for single threaded apps as well?

Associate
It depends on the price. Chances are you'll get a higher spec Turion laptop for the same price as an intel version. Battery life is comparable - both are good chips.

If you want dual core then of course the core duo is your only option!

Soldato
I too am interested in the answer to this question.

Looking to spend tops about £1200~ on a laptop, just need something which is relatively powerful, 1gig of mem, seperate gfx chip which is capable of playing WoW, good screen, etc.

I'd prefer to spend roughly £800 though and get something which is very good price/performance. I do prefer AMD over Intel at the moment but am also hoping the conroes will be as good as people are saying.

I want something with moderate battery life, and it also needs to have half decent built in speakers too.

Quiet/Silent operation
Quite thin/light
doesn't come with loaddds of stuff installed, I just wanna run the minimum of stuff really.

Am I asking too much?

help me decide on a model! :D

Back
Top Bottom