Anyone support another country?

Associate
Hi, just wondering if anyone is supporting another country during the World Cup? Obviously not just for the World Cup, but generally. I support England, and they will be my first choice, however I also have a soft spot for Portugal as my mother is Portuguese, but raised in Brazil.

Andrew.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Brazil or Argentina all the way, dont support england tbh in any sport unless they are playing against Germany in footie or are playing any other team than Pakistan or Australia in cricket.

But doesnt mean i hate them, i just choose not to support england in certain games etc.

Soldato
italy.

grandparents distant relatives in south switzerland supporting ac milan being half italian.

good man andrea in shildon for have the best restaurant in the world and cheap.. been there all for years and is good friends with me dad.. and always takes the pee out of me.

id only slightly prefer them if england were knocked out, but obviously not if they knocked england out.

but obviously england all the way being a true english yobbo.

my affection only goes with milan as when i was a kiddo and the dodgy swiss folk who visit every year... claudio (the son) was wearing a milan shirt and being a silly kid i wanted one

very long winded.. but fully descriptive

Man of Honour
Its funny but I find myself supporting any team who isn't England generally, that might have something to do with winding up my English mates though. Also the fact that there can appear to be a huge amount of arrogance from English supporters who think they have a 'god-given' right to win in particular at rugby and football, now maybe that is mainly the media's fault but it doesn't engender respect anyway. Mind you at least England have their team at the World Cup, I have to make do with another nations ;)

Soldato
I support teams on a geographical basis. England, then the home nations then the Europeans. Prefer the Germans\Dutch and the Scandinavians to Portugal\Spain\France\Italy but would still like to see all of them beat Brazil\Argentina.

Soldato
semi-pro waster said:
Its funny but I find myself supporting any team who isn't England generally, that might have something to do with winding up my English mates though. Also the fact that there can appear to be a huge amount of arrogance from English supporters who think they have a 'god-given' right to win in particular at rugby and football, now maybe that is mainly the media's fault but it doesn't engender respect anyway. Mind you at least England have their team at the World Cup, I have to make do with another nations ;)
Spoken like a well balanced Scotsman.
Chip on both shoulders :p ;)

Man of Honour
Vandle said:
Spoken like a well balanced Scotsman.
Chip on both shoulders :p ;)

Someone had to say it :p

I did at least give a reason why I am highly unlikely to support England though. However my mum is English, every family has a dirty little secret and that is mine. No point in taking the mick about England's sports teams though as she doesn't care about organised sport. It won't be the end of the world if England did win the World Cup but I fear I'd have to move in with some long-lost Amazonian tribe to avoid hearing about it every day, I can only hope that Sven's incompetence knows no bounds as technically the team could be pretty good.

Soldato
Im not much of an England supporter tbh.
Id like them to well , obviously but them winning or losing doesnt bother me all that much.

Strictly a club before country man and my team beating some part timers from Finland in the UEFA cup means more to me than England winning the world cup.

I used to go to England games quite regular a few years back and found I was enjoying them less and less.
The support was awful and I never felt right sitting next to a Londoner or a Yorkshireman and I hated the different factions amongst the support.

I dont think strong England support really exists up north , I think its more of a Midlands and Southern thing.
Have a look on the Newcastle or Sunderland message boards if you dont believe me.

As I get older and more bitter I find myself hating opposition teams and players more and more.
Alan Shearer would get booed at every ground in England yet these same people would no doubt be jumping around their living rooms when he put the ball in the net wearing an England shirt.
I despise some of the current crop of England players and I found I couldnt cheer on Ashley Cole or David Beckham one week then wish they would break their legs when Newcastle played them the next.
Its not something I could switch on or off and stopped following them after the Turkey qualifier at Sunderland a while back.

I love watching International tournaments and will no doubt watch every game of this world cup.
There is no better way to spend the close season and its a great break from the bread and butter of the league.

Tomorrow - Why I hate ASDA , inflateable hands and flags sticking out of the tops of car doors. :p

Soldato
i do love the world cup..

but i agree with what jose said a while back about the champions league being a higher standard of football.

the world cup is the biggest tournament in the world..

but for football isnt the best in the world.

i think the champions league is the best for football...

i mean iran, angola, cost rica... etc.. not exactly PSV, Bayern Munich, Milan, Lyon etc is it...

Associate
I normally never support England but I do not hate them, this time though I am very excited about the World Cup and hope England do win it then afterwards I will hate them because of all the media overload of it all...lol

Will also be supporting Trinidad & Tobago...only for 3 games though. :p

Soldato
I'll always support England, but I'd like to see Brazil do well because I love the style of football they play and I watch football to be entertained. :)

Back
Top Bottom