Anyone enabled NCQ on a Hitachi Deskstar 250GB SATA-II?

Associate
I'd like to know how you got on and if there's much point is using NCQ at all..

I'm pleased with the drive.. I'll be even happier if they never break :) (I've bought another for backups and transfering all my music to lossless!)

On a side note.. I think I installed the SATA / IDE controller drivers that came with nForce4 Ultra.. even though at the time they said they're not certified. I seem to recall reading that this wasn't recommended(?) If I update the SATA driver through device manager, would this fix any issues I may have/get?

Associate
I tried it out on my RAID-0 array (2xDeskstar 250GB) on my Abit AT-8 (ATI Crossfire with ULi 1575 controller). Made no real difference to HD-Tach benchmarks and found load times on Far Cry were longer with NCQ on.

I think NCQ has a bigger impact in multi-tasking environments and server applications and in those environments having a larger number of drives in the array would help as well.

Have you found any imporvements DutchGuy?

Associate
OP
ok thanks, i might use it, haven't decided yet. a few months ago I only had 16gb.. now I've got x2 250gb! I guess I should be happy with that :)

Associate
OP
I enabled SATA2 using the feature tool, however I've no idea how I enable NCQ, even to try it out. I can't see an option in the SATA controller in device manager for NCQ - everything is greyed out anyway. Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Should I perhaps reinstall nForce drivers?

Back
Top Bottom